Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
david_801644
Registered Member

Default Re: kpaul asks the hard questions.

I'll second that.

Perhaps riding it hard will give you better power, but perhaps the idea is to also strip the engine after every season.

I would rather follow the manufacturers advice since they have done plenty of study on their engines etc.

David
david_801644 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
mitctho
Registered Member

there was a nice consensus and then you just had to go and get folks all worked up now....
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
mitctho
Registered Member

Seriously, though, if the mototune method works great, is it detrimental to follow the owner's manual? Besides the obvious aggrivation of riding under low RPM etc...
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

I guess you missed longride's discovery. There is no KPaul, Ksquid or any other such Kschizoid Kperson. Ksomeone else has been scamming us. It's all a Kfraud.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Engine Break-In

I'm pretty sure this has been posted before.

I submitted this to complete the motorcycle hat trick.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #16
Tigercub
Founding Member

What a load of horse manure!

Notice he doesn't explain exactly why his method should work better than the easy breakin.

Joe Minton has it right and he should know - he's an old fart Harley guy.

It doesn't matter how you break in an engine, fast or slow as long as the motor is warmed up before you start whatever break-in procedure you prefer.

Why?? Because the piston and rings travel the exact same path, even with ring rotation, during the first few miles. Whatever 'bumps' need to be worn off the cylinders by the rings will be worn off sooner - given a fast break-in or later - with a slow break-in. They'll bed in all the same, sooner or later.

The only caveat I would add is that it is critical that the pistons/rings be set up in the cylinder with the correct gap in the first place. If the piston is too tight it can easily seize without real gentle break-in. But, how many of you are still riding '60s Brit bikes besides me?

Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #17
Gritboy
Founding Member

Damn son, every 20, 50, 250, 1000 and 1500 after that is absurdly frequent!

Modern oils and filters on modern bikes don't need that kind of fanaticism. Every 3-4k will do you just fine unless you're riding all the time in the redline or on the track (good reasons to change it then). I put about 15-20k a year on my bikes and have never had a problem.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
ksquid
Banned

Default kbashing

kpaul and shiznoodle are different souls...I just played along with the GPTB for awhile.. You guys need to move on..i.e eliminate the kbashing boys.. criticize the idea or in this case the questions not the person.. Take each one of my questions and tell me why I am wrong..Use Facts and data... i.e I took several identical motorcycles and used different methods for break-in. These were the results..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
Gritboy
Founding Member

Of the 3 brand new bikes I've owned, I rode 'em for about 250 miles "real gentle like" then didn't worry about break in anymore. Changed the oil and filter once or twice during the first few thousand, then waited until the 5-6k check-up before taking it for a full service (so they could check/tighten the whole thing). Never had a problem and the bikes never leaked or exhibited odd engine behavior.

I buy used these days (so break in is moot), but only when bike appears to have been treated with kit gloves or the seller appears to have a clue, or has service records.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #20
ksquid
Banned

Just call me the resident contrarian. I just think folks should use facts and data on something this important. Personal experience is interesting but unless it is backed up with experimental evidence it doesn't prove any point of view.. Every manufacturer says the same thing in their owner's manual Are are they all wrong? If they are at least one would say bunk just ride your bike normally.. and they could advertise that point.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote