Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
rbitra
Registered Member

Default Re: Helmet Laws and Tiered Licensing?

first
rbitra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

not first- I've said all I need on the other thread. Just wanted to stir the pudding...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I can't really comment on tiered licensing as I haven't really studied it's success vs. failure rate in those places that require it. I have read that it doesn't really seem to work that well where it is in effect.

After the helmet law was repealed in Florida, deaths have gone up 81%. New registrations went up around 30%. The other side of the coin is that of those that live and had head injuries in a motorcycle crash, those that were not wearing helmets hospital costs were 100 times greater than those that lived and had a helmet on. While it is easy to understand the "it can't happen to me" attitude in a 16-20 year old, there are those in their 30-70s that do not wear helmets. Often, they are going to a bar to have a few with their riding buddies, then they ride home helmetless and under the influence. I doubt that any "rider" that doesn't wear a helmet goes on a ride hoping to die or become a lifetime veggie. You would think these older riders would know it CAN happen to them. An even bigger part of the crime is that they frequently let their passenger ride helmetless. My guess is that, in Florida, 75-80% of the motorcyclists ride helmetless. As far as I'm concerned, all this proves is that a great majority of the motorcycle riders are a damned bunch of fools. Fact is, with this ignorance displayed by so many, a mandatory helmet law is the only way to decrease motorcycle deaths or lifelong plants in the form of a human body. Invasion of our privacy? Definitely. Violation of our rights? Probably. However, the fact remains, the motorcycling public has proved most are stupid enough that they need a mandatory helmet law to be protected from themselves. In every state where the helmet law has been repealed, deaths have gone up dramatically. Facts: Helmets save lives, most riders are stupid. Do I believe in mandatory helmet laws? Hell yes.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
jbourne
Founding Member

Ultimately I think it has to be based on what services the state/fed. governments provide.

If they have decent social services and health care, then tiered licensing and helmets are a good thing because they reduce the general taxpayer burden while maintaining services. Less tax for the same services is good.

On the other hand, if the support that you get from the government in the event of a crash is minimal or not very good, then let Darwin have his way. Less regulation that has no broad social gain is also good.

For example, California ($32billion) probably should have it, Florida ($0) probably shouldn't.

No point in having different states if the states can't be different.

jbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
jbourne
Founding Member

Clarification, that $32billion is how much the Californian government spent on public health in 2001; versus the $0 that Florida spent on public health in 2001.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
jbourne
Founding Member

Default Re: Dead Horses

Oh and to the MO editors: this horse is really, really dead. I think you might need a new one.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
SRMark
Founding Member

From the results so far just let me say that I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

Good point. I live in Florida and I see very few riders wearing a helmet. They seem to fall into two basic categories: young newbie riders, sportbikers wearing shorts, flipflops and a tee shirt or the older cruiser guys. The first group think they're indistructable and the second group just plain don't give a sh*t.

The Tiered Licensing and helmet laws for under 21 riders make the most sense to me.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
jstrain
Founding Member

I have no argument with your premise that helmets are a good thing, but why do we need the government to protect us from ourselves?

I think you will find that 99% of those that oppose helmet laws don't think helmets are useless. Much so the opposite, they agree that they are beneficial. They just don't want the government making their decisions for them.

Like most everyone else here, I never ride without a helmet, but I don't think the government needs to be making sure I take good care of my body.

I know that it sounds like a huge difference between riding helmetless vs riding at all, but it doesn't take a big jump of logic to say that the government needs to protect us from ourselves by outlawing motorcycles.
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Just wait until good old government starts restricting what you are aloud to eat.

Just wait until they start taxing certain food like they do smokes.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote