Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-18-2007, 05:51 AM   #81
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: What's most important

Yeah, the repub contestants should be especially frightening this time around.

I would respect it all a lot more if the just had a bare knuckles boxing match. Last man/woman standing wins. Cheaper too.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #82
cda
Registered Member

Default More California Statistics

Fatalities per registered motorcycle may be of some value. IMHO the best measure is fatality per mile ridden as that is the fun/utility factor and fatalities are part of the price paid. If you kill the fun/utility by significantly reducing the miles ridden you could easily have a situation where there are more fatalities per mile ridden yet the overall fatalities are down. Not really a success unless an outright ban is on your list of solutions.

If we have an outright ban (removing ALL the fun) on motorcycles in the US we can only approach reducing the total annual traffic fatality rate by 10%. The solution obviously lies elsewhere.

A lot of folks have the idea "that if it saves one life" we ought to pass restrictions and laws. While they are focused on ultra-fine-tuning the law in an area where insane perfection (banning motorcycles) can only approach saving 10% of the tens of thousands that die every year I suppose the tens of thousands will just have to continue to die.

The California chart at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...ackground.html

shows an increasing number of fatalities for CA motorcyclists starting with a dip to just below 200 in 1998 and increasing to about 260 in year 2000. At http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departm.../6_CA_2005.htm we find the following motorcyclist fatality numbers:

2001 299

2002 324

2003 383

2004 432

2005 469

I don't think they repealed the no-choice helmet law in CA but I would suspect overall miles ridden during this period of increased fatalities is trending up.

Another fascinating tidbit from the NHTSA link above is that it appears that 62% of Fatally Injured Passenger Vehicle Occupants (PVO) were wearing restraints. It would appear that MORE PVOs are dieing in California while wearing seat-belts. Sounds like seat belts are killing people in California but the devil is in the details. Since observed restraint use is around 92% (I am sure no one buckles up right before being observed then approximately 8% of the PVOs non-restraint users are responsible for 38% of the fatalities. The bottom line is we need all the data we can get and then we need to be responsible adults and make our own choices.

Insurance is a risk pool and companies should use all available data to determine that an 18 year old on a 'Busa with a spanking new permit ain't gonna be able to afford the insurance. When one company quotes me 3x the premium as another for identical coverage the insurance business isn't even in the ballpark of using all the available data and making accurate risk calculations. Insurance like training can play a role in our motorcycling safety, survival and enjoyment. But quality training alone in the passenger vehicle operator world would dwarf ANYTHING that can be suggested for motorcycling up to and including an outright ban of motorcycles.

Share the road with a deer – that's PETA's stand.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:03 AM   #83
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Excellent post!

Good use of fact/data.

Won't make the slightest difference either.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #84
mitctho
Registered Member

Default Re: Helmet Laws and Tiered Licensing?

birkenstock wearing BMW riders do lawn maintenance, and their solar powered Toros have GPS navigation and autopilot. They also wear their modular helmets while cutting the grass. Everyone should be like them.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #85
GearFyre
Registered Member

Wow, I sure hear a lot of bickering about whether goverment should or shouldn't "help" us stay alive and make the right choices. What I'm not hearing is what any of us can/would do to stop some noob from shredding himself and the machine that his mommy gave him. What happened to taking the keys away from the drunk driver "as a friend" rather than waiting for the stupid SOB take someone out and get the law involved. I won't ride with anyone that refuses to wear a helmet. I will take away thier keys if they drink on a ride. And you will be treated like diseased s***** if you start screwing around on public roads doing stupid things. (that's for off road hehehe) Point is; I don't like insurance rates, I don't like government mandates, and I don't like stupid bikers. Are you doing your part to stop idiots, or will you wait until the government has to do it for you.....and they will. -- Ride safe, Ride long, Have fun! --
Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #86
mitctho
Registered Member

Next, they'll be regulating spelling and grammar!
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #87
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Min. Wage

Let's just give everyone a million dollars! Then EVERYONE can retire.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #88
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Van William Washburn. What is your name exactly anyway?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #89
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Never meant to impugn you as a coward seruzawa. I was merely trying to point out to the masses of nanny staters on this site that there are alternatives to big government. Did you read any of the models for anarchy on lewrockwell? BTW I would never compare 214s with anyone who has a set of double Ds. What are they anyway? Van
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:19 AM   #90
cda
Registered Member

Default Re: Excellent post!

Aw shucks. I know it won't matter.

It's just cheap therapy and educational for me.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote