Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #61
cda
Registered Member

Default Min. Wage

Even though I am all NOT for it locally.

If $7 and change is good for a FEDERAL min. wage why not a decent living at $20/hour FEDERAL min. wage?

I can never seem to get a straight answer on that.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #62
cda
Registered Member

Default Re: Helmet Laws and Tiered Licensing?

"I like helmet laws. They help keep my insurance costs down."

Over 50% of my motorcycle ins. premium is for the other uninsured/under-insured jerk. My helmet ain't saving me spit on insurance costs. Glad it is working out great for you.

All the best.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #63
cda
Registered Member

Default The horse is dead cuz

logic and facts don't have an affect on those that have their closely held opinion.

I should know cuz I am human also.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #64
fumanchu
Founding Member

It's a matter of accepting responsibility for what happens to you, whether you are the main cause or just a compounding factor - which any motorcycle rider is in the very least. The Irish, 1925 Nobel Prize winner for literature George Bernard Shaw wrote, "Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

We are a compounding factor in that we knowingly drive machines that have much more performance than is necessary to navigate public streets, and much less protection than is reasonable should something go amiss - and then we point the finger at someone else when we get hurt. We have chosen to be on a vehicle with low visibility and stability, and no safety mechanisms. What would have been a fender bender with two cars is a maiming accident when one of those automobiles becomes a motorycle. We chose to ride the motocycle; we are aware of the inherent risks involved; we should take it as our personal responsibility to do what we can to minimize those risks to ourselves and others. Enough motorcyclists choose not to act responsibly, and therefore to me need regulation in some form.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 AM   #65
Flickmeister
Registered Member

If that were the case, we wouldn't need a helmet law. A majority of riders would have lids on. Unfortunately, at least in Florida, the great majority of riders, no matter what their verbiage, ride bald and ignorant.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:45 AM   #66
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"We chose to ride the motocycle; we are aware of the inherent risks involved; we should take it as our personal responsibility to do what we can to minimize those risks to ourselves and others. Enough motorcyclists choose not to act responsibly, and therefore to me need regulation in some form."

And the simplest and most effective form of regulation is banning the use of motorcycles. Problem solved swiftly and simply, with no effect on 98% of the population, and no extra government or fees. The Chinese just did it in one of their cities. Pretty easy eh? Somehow, I bet you disagree, but there really isn't much to disagree about.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 AM   #67
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Min. Wage

Why $20 an hour? Why not make it $50?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 AM   #68
ksquid
Banned

"Kraus et al. (1994) compared California's motorcycle crash experience in 1991, before the law, with 1992, after the universal law. Motorcycle fatalities statewide decreased 37 percent in 1992 compared with a year earlier. The fatality rate per registered motorcycle decreased 26 percent." Read more
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:55 AM   #69
ksquid
Banned

Default Also see this about injuries

GAO found thirteen studies with data on some aspect of the societal costs of motorcycle accidents.

"These studies indicated that nonhelmeted riders were more likely to (1) need ambulance service, (2) be admitted to a hospital as an inpatient, (3) have higher hospital charges, (4) need neurosurgery and intensive care, (5) need rehabilitation, and (6) be permanently impaired and need long-term care" (GAO, 1991, p. 4)."

Read More
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 AM   #70
seruzawa
The Toad

Whoa. Now everyone who isn't an anarchist is automatically a coward? You wanna compare DD214s?

Actually, I understand the theory of anarchy and in many ways it's very tempting. However we live in a real world with real people and hifalutin theories like anarchism and marxism simply are never going to work. You see there's this funny thing called human nature......

I'm afraid we are going to continue cycling between freedom and totalitarianism just like we have throughout history... with most of the time being spent under totalitarianism, like we're heading back to very rapidly under the republicrats. Heck, just look at the enthusiasm that a bunch of motorycyclists, one of the last groups of basically independent types, apply to forcing their fellows to wear helmets based on no evidence that it even costs them a nickel... even though they are apparently all convinced that helmet laws will cause their premiums to go down. Well, folks, we do have helmet laws in many States and the premiums don't go down. I've never had a premium go down after a helmet law was passed in my area. Not ever. So that argument is complete hogwash. I guess the little napoleans will have to come up with different excuses for their fascination with what other people are doing and for their desire to force everyone else to comply with their arbitrary beliefs.