Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #31
jbourne
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Laws and Tiered Licensing?

That's a good clarification - I was certainly leaving the possibility open for you being anarchist, though not pigeonholing you there.

But also, if I may clarify my own position, I don't believe the government functions either particularly well or particularly ethically. Nor do I believe that people should place blind faith in it. People cultivate relationships with those in power and those relationships need to be continually scrutinized by you and I.

My take on it is simply that if the state that you're in is one that provides *effective* social, health and educational services, then training, helmets and tiered licences make wider economic and private fiscal sense. These places do exist, I've lived in them.

On the other hand, if you live in a state that doesn't provide *effective* services, then mandated training, helmets and tiered licences make not a jot of difference - they should be a matter of individual choice.

Whether you want the state you live in to be the latter or the former is your personal choice and a choice I'll back you to the hilt in having the freedom to make.

jbourne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #32
jeffreyzone
Registered Member

AMEN, Flickmeister and tomk2. Well-said.

jeffreyzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #33
acecycleins
Founding Member

Well said....
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #34
jbourne
Founding Member

Fair point - it functions as a representative democracy, albeit distantly representative. The degree to which it functions well as such is (I agree) totally up to the average level of committed involvement of the populace.

Once the people on average reach the point of just expecting things to work, and not *making* them work, the whole thing is lost to those who would enslave you given half a chance.

I just happen to think that mandated helmets and tiered licencing don't constitute as serious a breech of freedom, compared to say having your property appropriated for a traffic infraction.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #35
jstrain
Founding Member

I guess I would have to say no, I don't mind. I have what I consider to be acceptable insurance payments for our two bikes.

I'd love to see some sort of real data on what that sort of things actually costs. I'm willing to bet that the amount of money spent on helmetless accident victims pales significantly in comparison to money wasted on other stuff.

I guess another way to look at is this. I ride a Sprint 1050. Are there a bunch of people that spend their lives riding 250cc bikes that have to bear the a bit of the cost of me riding a 1050? I'm willing to bet that part of that guys insurance premium subsidizes my riding a much bigger / faster bike.

Somewhere along the line, we all are costing someone else money. I can certainly understand your position, but for me, I'd rather pay a bit higher insurance and still retain the freedom to how we want to ride.
jstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #36
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

300,000+ a year die from being sedentary in the U.S...

That whole "cost to society" thing has been thoroughly debunked, repeatedly... almost every time it comes up on "helmet" posts. I can understand new MOrons having not seen it yet, but what I find curious are those that have been around here awhile making the same BS arguments for OTHERS to do something, over and over. I'm fighting for Freedom and Liberty, their cause is MY safety? Thanks, really, but mind your own business.

For the "newbies", yes, I almost always wear a full face helmet. I find them more comfortable at highway speeds.

Want to wear a helmet/gear? Go right ahead. No? That's fine too.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #37
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Let's give that nag another whack, shall we......

"bloodstained boots of the the jack-booted neofascist oppressors.' I love it!
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #38
jbourne
Founding Member

Horse ... very ... dead. Must whip to make go ...

So, to cast the (undead) cat amongst the (flu-ridden) pigeons, my take on it is that the US Fed. should have nix to do with helmets & tiered licensing, even though I'm all for it locally.

Decide on a state by state basis, that's what states are for - the fed. can legislate things like foreign policy and minimum wage and pay for things like stealth fighters and science research.

Man, I think I can balance on this fence standing up straight even ...

Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #39
Flickmeister
Registered Member

On the contrary, helmet laws might reduce the carnage enough to prevent the government from banning motorcycles. I don't really foresee this happening, but the human race has shown time and time again that it doesn't learn and repeats the same stupid-ass mistakes over and over again. Vietnam and Iraq might be one large, lethal example. Gimme a helmet law anytime. The stupid motorcycling public has proved they can't act responsibly without it. But take away might right to ride, and I'm bustin' into the legislature with a bazooka and enough missiles to wipe out the whole damn city.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Helmets are good.

I like wearing a helmet. Mine are colorful. It sure beats painting my head.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote