Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #81
f6c
Founding Member

Default Re: What makes a motorcycle a ''Chick's bike''?

Well said.
f6c is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #82
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, here are the bikes I have never seen chicks on...

You saw a lady riding a Tuono? That's pretty interesting. As a counterpoint to gbrummett, here are the bikes I have never seen a lady riding (and don't expect to):

Yamaha Vmax

Kawasaki ZX-12/ZX-14

H-D Night Train

Any Big Adventure/Touring Bike

Honda RC-51

Triumph Speed Triple

silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #83
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

I submitted this item to MO and was interested to see what kind of responses it would get. In retrospect I should have phrased the question in a less inflamatory fashion.

My girlfriend rides, and the choices available to her are limited because she is vertically challenged (compared to most men). She is really average sized for a woman, but the bikes that fit her are generally the small displacement or entry level bikes. She has been able to ride some of the large displacement cruisers due to their low seat height, but a lot of cruisers are too wide. And forward controls (like on the V-Rod) are pretty much a deal breaker.

There are a lot of cool smaller motorcycles available in Europe and Asia which aren't necessarily "entry level" motorcycles. But they generally aren't offered here.

I think the manufacturers should consider the female market when they are deciding whether to bring a particular model over here.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #84
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I'm not sure there is any way that this bunch won't make an innocent question inflamatory. And, you're right, lower seat heights would open up a lot more bikes to women. There may be potential sport or adventure bikers out there that never get the chance.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #85
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

So anything that's not a "Chick's bike" is a "****'s" bike?

.5 liters Rock....
Old 01-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #86
xlr8r
Founding Member

It's not in the bike, it's in the attitude of the rider. An active rider makes the bike do what he wants it to, though at the same time he has to be ready for, and able to cope with, its mechanical demands and idiosyncracies ( let's think of an old Triumph here, for instance). He enters into a genuine relationship with the bike. A passive rider is one who puts the keys in, fires it up, goes to his destination, switches off. Modern bikes are a lot more reliable, and a lot less involving than they used to be: the reliability is a good thing, the lack of involvement is not. So...any bike which allows, or even encourages, the rider to ride it in a passive way, is a chick's bike, because there are a lot of women out there - and a lot of men, too - who simply want light, easy transport, without the whole involving experience, and these bikes are for them. Any bike which demands involvement can't be a chick's bike - but if there are chicks who want to ride 'em, and give them the commitment they need, then that's all to the good. And at that point they are not chick bike riders, but chicks riding bikes, which is different.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #87
Zakman
Founding Member

What makes a bike NOT! a chicks bike? It's no longer a chicks bike if you can't keep up with it in the corners.

Zak
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 AM   #88
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, here are the bikes I have never seen chicks on...

Yeah, she had just purchased it. Hard to belive it was also her first bike. She's the co-owner of a local dive shop and the other owner talked her into it.

Hope she's ok out there...

Yeah, and I guess you are right, I have never seen the fairer gender riding any of those bikes.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:28 AM   #89
ofreen
Registered Member

I don't think there are really any "chick bikes" in the same way there are "chick cars." Certain cars seem to draw women to own them, such as PT Cruisers and VW Beetles. Because they think they are 'cute', I guess. I don't really see that with motorcycles.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 AM   #90
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Seriously

That reply was SO Crackalackin' loaded with Innuendo and Irony............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote