Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 AM   #41
jbourne
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing in the U.S.?

In response to "First off" - yeah I'm inclined to agree - I was being tongue in cheek hence the smiley, but then, you might be trolling too.

In response to "Second" - nope, it doesn't, at least no more than any state level society (in anthropological terms) has been exchanging various freedoms for rights and obligations since the dawn of the written word.

In response to the third paragraph - accurate assessment: Americans will buy any bilge if it makes them feel safe.

And finally, slave state: yes - its close - prisoners working from prison at cut-rate pay; police depts. seizing property under specious circumstances (house & land in California, motorcycles in Florida); property law eroded by imminent domain and the government locking Americans up without trial.

Tiered licensing and helmets are small potatos and on the far more reasonable end of the spectrum.

jbourne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #42
Gritboy
Founding Member

Yup! It's easy to ride off with a bike unlicensed, so 'til that's fixed any licensing scheme is moooooooot.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #43
eddyline
Founding Member

More than tiered licensing, I think that motorcycles should be the ONLY transportation for people over the age of 16 and under the age of 24, and training should be taught in HS.

The effect this would have on the public would be immediate and profound.

Parents would start paying attention to the road, for fear of killing their own child.

Sixteen-year-olds who feel that they have to street race would kill far fewer people when they commit loss-of-control suicide.

Motorcycling would have much greater representation in lawmakers' eyes.

The general public would no longer view motorcycles as toys for weekend play, but as a valid form of transportation for daily use.

And, ultimately, everyone would understand the vulnerability of two wheels.
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #44
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

How will this affect the price of Crack on the corner of 13th and Arlington?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #45
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I think driver's ed should begin in Kindergarten (red means stop, green means go) and should be a part of the curriculum every year. Bicycle safety, crosswalks, all that stuff should be pounded into kids heads until they are old enough to get actual driving instruction. Motorcycle instruction should be the same way. I have no problem with restricted licenses until some experience has been gained. We would all be safer if everyone on the road had some sort of clue about what they're doing.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #46
ksquid
Banned

Touche... Point taken
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #47
Joel_CA
Registered Member

What is the number one factor in motor vehicle fatalities in Fresno County, CA? Unlicensed (usually undocumented) drivers. It is becoming a huge problem, yet there is no outcry because its not "politically correct."

Tired licensing in the U.S. would be completely botched. A Ninja 636 and Yamaha V-Star 650 sure look close in displacement, but couldn't be further apart in performance and riding style.

I am all for better training, but who is going to organize it and/or supply it. MSF is maxed out, and couldn't ramp up avalibility anytime soon. I think the private sector could really offer some great options, but someone needs to get the ball rolling.

Don't underestimate how many people would just ride w/o a motorcycle license. Its very common now even with the low standard for issuance.
Joel_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 AM   #48
pplassm
Founding Member

Again, if states would onlyt force people to produce a license when registering a vehicle, this would help this problem immensely.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #49
SRMark
Founding Member

A tiered sysytem is too complicated. If the rider is a guy, snip his nutz until he's 40. Then hook 'em back up again. If the rider is a female, well I can't say anything here that would start a war but most of them have good sense at birth. What happens after that depends on how many unsnipped nuts they have to deal with along the way.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #50
ptschett
Registered Member

Motorcycles aren't exactly a 'valid form of transportation for daily use' when its January in North Dakota, 10 degrees below zero, and there are several inches of snow on the road (with some ice underneath.) And in those conditions in a car, if you wreck you at least have some shelter. I love riding my bike and use it for transportation when I can, but using it year-round is unrealistic for me.