Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
mii54ws
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing in the U.S.?

And where is the link to this survey/poll? Simply giving a Yes/No by posting a reply is rather lame.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
ksquid
Banned

Should I bring up the blue/red state thing? Fox/CBS thing? O Reilly/Scarborough? (joe.msnbc.com my hero) Better not I promised Gabe. But I bet blue staters will go for tiered
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Home page->News link->right side of page.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
ksquid
Banned

Can't you get into this page and modify it with a link to the poll or did they not give you the power?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #15
squidwardo
Founding Member

I don't know if it would make a difference or not with regards to fatalities, but it might allow rider's to enjoy it without getting scared out of it. I have seen a lot of guys who have gone out and purchased bikes that proved to be too much for their skills, and they have just moved on. Is it possible they might have stayed within the fold if they had started out differently, I am unsure, but it certainly makes me think.

I do believe it would be neat if we could get the cool, high revving small bikes like they have in Japan. I had a buddy bring over a ZZR400, or something like that from Japan a few years ago, and that thing was sweet.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #16
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

YES
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
Fenton
Founding Member

"You're out gunned at the moment." --Pete

Check again, 7 up

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
ksquid
Banned

Default Link to the poll i.e. voting booth

Here is a link to the poll
Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #19
gr8shandini
Registered Member

My problem with a tiered system is that engine displacement has very little to do with power output these days. I learned to ride on an 800cc Bonneville that was an absolute *****cat. Same with my buddy's 750 Nighthawk that he got started on. Niether one of us dropped them and we both kept them for at least two years where I wouldn't have made it through the summer on a 250 without "outgrowing" the bike.

On the other hand, modern 600cc sportbikes have way more power than anyone can use on the street and, under most proposed systems, would be available to intermediate riders years before the two starter bikes I mentioned. Not to mention that saying X bike is too much to handle for Y person is the first step to outlawing high performance bikes altogether.

I say require the MSF course for all riders and institute real driver training for all cagers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a car turning left into the path of a bike still the number 1 way the us motorcyclists buy the farm? I don't think being on a 125 is gonna help there.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #20
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Of course we need a government mandated training program for motorcycling, and every other activity that might be construed as dangerous by those who rule us should require training as well. Hey! you never know when that unproperly tied shoelace might cause a serious injury.

Warning labels on just about every product made are now ubiquitous, although I did notice that a new bowling ball lacks the label warning an unwary user that dropping said ball on foot may cause injury.

I'll be writing my congressman post haste.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote