Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Tie Down Methods for Trailering Bikes

I might Add:

Cinch it down until the bike and trailer/pickup "move as one" when shaking the bike side-to-side, - but JUST that tight and no further. I only use ratcheting ties on the front of the bike (the "main" weight-carrier).

Don't forget to gather-up and secure ALL the loose-ends of your straps, if the bike is exposed. Otherwise, they will flap about in the breeze and the ends WILL fray. This also could possibly loosen-up a camlock-type strap.

If one has straps that are ridiculously longer than absolutely necessary (They were On Sale!Cut me some "slack"........), running the tail down the length of the strap, through the hook, then back up and THEN tying it securely wouldn't be the dumbest thing one ever did - that "saved" me once.

If your trailer/truck/whatever has angle-iron or square-edged railing, be absolutely CERTAIN to "pad" with a rag or whatever any strap that crosses that edge at a steeper than ~15-degree angle - or it WILL cut it. Don't ask.......

Chocks are your Friends. "Locking" or "latching" chocks are your Lovers.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
NLJ
Founding Member

I have typically loaded the suspension aproximately half way down and have never had a problem. THe bike will cycle the suspension a bit on the bumps but won't fall. I would think that if you strapped below the suspension it would move alot more.
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
JLWarrior
Registered Member

I've hauled a lot of bikes, from dirtbikes in pickups to race bikes and cruisers in enclosed trailers and on flatbed car trailers.

By far the best system I've found is a wheel chock for the from wheel (mine came from Pingel) to hold the bike upright, and a slight to moderate tension on the suspension to keep the bike from bouncing around. You want enough tension on the forks to prevent excessive bouncing, and enough on the year so just enough on the rear to keep the back of the bike from sliding back and forth.

Make sure you use ratchet straps, not the ones you just pull through.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
mii54ws
Founding Member

I've often wondered what stresses the clamping of the front wheel puts on the fork down tubes, wheel bearings, etc. This type of force is not one that has been engineered for the front wheel/suspension to take. If a bike is subjected to that sort of stress over a long period of time (who knows, maybe only a few hours), and considering a cruiser weighting 800 lbs total (of course, not all acting on the front forks, etc), how has the steering, suspension been damage? Who really knows.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote