Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
bkbennett
Registered Member

Default Re: Designed Right the First Time! Would You Pay for It?

"What Say You, MOrons?"

I would rather have the original bike built right the first time. Any job worth doing is worth doing right.

I see no excuse for crummy seats, inadequate mirrors, or cheap tires on a new bike, especially with product liability being what it is these days.

bkbennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
RonXX
Founding Member

It looks like the dirtbike world is starting to go this route. The new Yamaha WR450 has wide pegs (like Acerbis makes), Pro Taper bars, and some other stuff I forget right now. Still missing handguards on a woods bike, but I guess halfway is better than nothing.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
manalagi001
Registered Member

Three big corner cutting areas have been exhaust, suspension, and handlebars. Everything else should be top-notch so you don't have to go searching for turn signals, mirrors, controls, much less a saddle.

In a way, exhaust, suspension, and handlebars are a good thing to make disposable since they are ripe for customization. Why make them too nice when they are going to be thrown out anyway? However, I now appreciate how manufacturers have improved stock handlebars (esp on MX bikes); after all, most customers don't even know what kind of bend they want to buy anyway. As for exhaust, just a few months ago I would have assumed manufacturers must make heavy, cheap, disposable exhausts in order to meet government requirements; but now that I've seen how good the stock exhaust is on an MV Agusta, it makes me wonder why all the manufacturers don't just step up and get it right the first time. On the off-road side, dirt bikes don't have the same stringent tests to pass, so they should have outstanding exhaust systems from the get-go. KTM was a leader here in years past.

On to suspension. One could argue that due to wide ranging rider weights, suspension absolutely must be customized in order to work properly, and so therefore it is a great place to cut costs. I disagree. While I agree valving and spring rates should be customized for each rider (no matter what kind of riding we're talking about), I would like to see top-notch internals, so that all a tuner needs to do is rearrange the shim stack-- no need for trick pistons and other parts. Most importantly, I would like to see it become standard practice for manufacturers to sell bikes with the correct spring rate from the get-go. So when you pick up your new bike, whether it's a KX250F or a CBR600RR or a new Softail Deuce, you have the option right then and there of what springs to install at no extra charge. Most people would go with stock springs, of course, but for those that need to go stiffer or softer, the swap should be complimentary.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Most young adults spend thousands on their auto with audio, wheel, interior, and even motor upgrades. What's the difference? We peronalize our bikes to make them unique for our personal taste. The aftermarket is the purist form of free enterprise. Let it thrive.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Weight might have something to do with it...

Weight might have something to do with it as well.

All the manufactures are trying to get weight lower and lower on performance motorcycles, while sacrificing a better part.

For instance, the stock seat on my Buell XB12S was literally a pain in the butt. I replaced it with a new gel seat from Corbin and it's much better.

But guess what? The stock seat is much lighter then the Corbin, and cheaper too I would bet!

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
findangle
Founding Member

sounds like a great idea.

good luck getting everyone to agree on what the "right" way to do it is though.

maybe the best way would be as someone else here said.. dealer options. lots and lots of dealer options. tires, seats, bars, exhaust, pegs, suspension, etc..
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
rebis69
Registered Member

OK, I know there are some who leave things alone, but when has anyone not wanted to do something to their bike to make it look, sound or feel better? It is a guy thing, we just cant leave well enough alone. And, we support the ecomomy at the same time - so really just being patriotic!
rebis69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Adjustability from the Factory

Ergonomics is a big reason people replace factory components -- they have to change parts so the bike fits them comfortably.

Cars come with adjustable seats and steering wheels, and some even have adjustable pedals. Why don't bikes come with easily adjustable handlebars, adjustable seat height and fore/aft position, and/or adjustable foot controls?

BMW is one of the few bike makers that offers any adjustability.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
tomk2
Founding Member

That's why different manufacturers cater to different segments of the market.

Ducati will sell you a Monster with Ohlins, Brembo, etc. but you'll pay a lot for it. Most people are price shoppers and thus end up with a budget bike.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It would be impossible for the manufacturer to tailor a bike to each individual rider so they go for averages. Things like intakes and exhausts, particularly on an aircooled bike have to be more restrictive because of the higher mechanical noise. 80db is the federal law, they don't care if it's intake noise, exhaust, piston slap or what so they choke the bikes down to meet that goal. I don't think a full on sportbike with a Ti. exhaust is going to notice any improvement in performance or weight with an aftermarket pipe, but an air-cooled twin will.

Seats, suspension and bars are all

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote