Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #71
dan_fitzgerald
Registered Member

Default Re: Choose Your Swiss Army Bike

If it had to be just one, either of the following two would do it (in no particular order):

1.) BMW R1200GS - Fantastic bike, rides like it is 100 lbs. lighter than it is. Makes fast riding on unpaved surfaces really easy, like magic. Can go plenty fast on the twisty pavement too. Not crazy about the servo brakes, I like the ABS on my F650GS better. The factory luggage is OK, but I would buy aftermarket instead. Must add second power outlet.

2.) Buell XB12X Ulysses - Almost identical to the BMW R1200 in riding manners, the Buell powerplant is NOT a Harley. Silky smooth power and lots of it, can hammer the Buell through the corners better than the BMW. The brakes are unbelievable, use more than one polite finger and you will give yourself a big surprise. In theory ABS would be nice, but in practice you don't need it with these brakes. The factory luggage is top notch (Hepco-Becker actually). Add heated grips, strange they are not a factory option, but whatever.

Assume with both bikes having to fool around with the windscreen to find the right setup.

I exclude the Multistrada due to it's amazingly disappointing ergonomics, I really don't get what Ducati is trying to tell me the riding position should be. Otherwise it is fabulous eye candy and the engine is the stuff young men fantasize about.

-Dan

--------------------------

'06 BMW F650GS

'05 Buell XB9SX

'00 Husqvarna SMS610

'77 Honda CB550K
2005 Buell XB9SX
1977 Honda CB550K
dan_fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2007, 06:04 AM   #72
ejis
Founding Member

Default Re: Poll: Choose Your Swiss Army Bike

Do you ever ride it in a city? How is it with close quarters manuevers? I like the overall idea of this thing with it's high end components, humane riding position, good handling well sorted package, etc., but I actually don't need all that power. I'd get another VFR but it's pretty expensive considering all the component compromises.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #73
bbtowns
Founding Member

I've owned 25 bikes in the last decade and have six in the garage right now, and I'd say my DL1000 V-Strom. Just last year I rode it in two dual sport events, the Alcan 5000, and on 1/2 dozen thousand mile weekends. I wish I'd taken it on the Saddle Sore 1000, but used my BMW instead. Without bags it's reasonably quick and nimble, with bags it's a good tourer/commuter, and with a few farkles it's decent off road too. And they can be had for around $8K new.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #74
ptarman
Registered Member

I'd keep what I've got. It's a bit heavy. Well, *quite* a bit heavy. And it's a tad tall for short people. But, my '99 Concours gives me room to carry stuff back and forth to work, so I use it as a commuter.

It's reasonably comfortable on the slab, so I use it as a long distance ride. And it's gives me all the thrills I need when I get to the mountains 100 miles west of me, so it's my sporting ride to.

It's awkward off-pavement, but has been on some fairly gnarly dirt trails. *Definitely* not the bike of choice for those, but it has gotten me to campsites and back to pavement every time.

Not worth a flip in mud, though.

Phil Tarman, COG, IBA
Colorado AAD
'99 Concours "TumbleToo\"
CDA #0016
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #75
nolaandy
Founding Member

After a lifetime of bikes, it has to be my beloved five-year old SV650. It's fun around town and in the deserted twisty roads around home (with a modified suspension). With a small windshield it is comfortable all day (with a modified seat) on the interstates. I spent less than $1,200 on all the modifications and a set of soft saddlebags.

For a while I was commuting 160 miles round trip per day reliably, economically, and enjoyably.

There's just something about the little cheapo that makes me grin whenever I fire it up.
nolaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #76
SRMark
Founding Member

I recently took my Mean Streak up a paved twisty mountain road that I forgot turns to dirt on the way down. Some steep, tight, gravely turns on that road. The big cruiser did just fine as long as I relaxed, lightened the grip and let the compresssion braking hold me back. Raised the heart rate a bit at times but a lot of fun. I got some interesting looks from a phone company work crew that was busy cutting trees. Thankfully they hadn't dropped one across the road. I won't do it again but I appreciate your perspective.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #77
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Harleys don't come with ANY tools (because they're so trouble-free and nothing works its way loose, I guess). "

You are incorrect. My E-Glide came with a full set of tools in a tool roll.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #78
ksquid
Banned

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot sense to me.. I guess I want a bike I could commute, tour, canyon blast and go to the occasional track day with. The current VFR is probably more bike than my ability. I heard Freddie Spencer uses it to show it's not the tool in his school.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:07 AM   #79
crevans
Founding Member

Have you looked at the Yamaha FZ-6?
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #80
navair
Registered Member

KTM 950/990 Adventure Hands Down!

Better than the GS, Multi-Struddle or Uly.
navair is offline   Reply With Quote