Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Choose Your Swiss Army Bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4185-choose-your-swiss-army-bike.html)

manalagi001 01-02-2007 11:16 PM

Re: Choose Your Swiss Army Bike

And BTW, since the local Triumph/ Ducati dealers all use BMWs as loaners, I've ridden them all extensively, and I have to say: they work great. But they are boring. And expensive. And slow and heavy (although they don't feel heavy when moving and I'm always surprised at how quick I can take them-- a testament to their sneaky speed and slick engineering). Good bikes, but I would never buy one.

manalagi001 01-02-2007 11:20 PM

You got the right idea bro. Pop wheelies. Gas on.

manalagi001 01-02-2007 11:25 PM

Maybe I should vote for the Honda Super Cub. I tell ya, that bike rules the roads of half the world, and for good reason. Weld a cross-brace to the frame, add CR80R forks and a stiff shock, and these puppies get motocrossed. They are fun, fast, versatile, comfortable enough for touring the archipelagoes of the world, and practical enough for a run to the market or photocopy shop.

Too bad they don't sell them here. Big-wheel Aprillia scooters are about as close as you can get, but they don't compare to a modern Astrea, Grand, or other modern version of the venerable Super Cub.

Tadgh 01-03-2007 01:53 AM

you are definitely right on that one .

anyone who has done some serious off road could not evisage using any sort of dual sport bike for it.

the only exception would be the dr400 that you mention but that is still a little porky and soft when the going gets tough.

i ride a husky off road and would shudder at the thoughts of having to ride it for any length on the street.

so im thinking the utimate bike would be tom cruises one from mission impossible...the speed triple..good on the road and automatically sprouts knobblies when it goes on the dirt !

nweaver 01-03-2007 02:33 AM

VStrom 650 ABS ++

A VStrom 650 ABS. Which, by virtue of being so cheap, allows a couple of choice upgrades:

Crash bars

Heated grips

3-piece GIVI luggage

Bling suspension

Skorpion Sync tires

Even without all of those, its a fantastic, FANTASTIC all-rounder.

Add those and it will do everything from a B-group trackday to humiliating squids on the backrouds to an urban street slice & ride to a daily 80 mile commute to an Iron Butt ride all in maximum comfort.

Its even good 2-up.

maladg 01-03-2007 02:41 AM

Re: Condor

Nice '59 available at Blue Moon BMW rat now. John L. usually has a Condor or two for sale at any given time.

maladg 01-03-2007 02:46 AM

This is the perfect Zen question to which there is no answer: to answer it depends on -

1. wallet

2. how you ride

3. where you ride

4. when you ride

5. how "out o the box" you think - or not

and on and on and on and on.....

Personally I really like the suggestion that the very most wrong bike for a given purpose is the very most right bike.

Now that is the kind of thinking that gets me to thinking!

Now I must return to the pixilation chamber post haste where my pompadour will be appropriately restored...

BrowningBAR 01-03-2007 03:21 AM

What type of mileage are you getting out of the Brutale? I remember Buz had one and his one complaint was the tank range.

Do you have a new model? Have they done anything to allow for longer distances between fillups? Or does Buz have a heavy right wrist?

familydad 01-03-2007 04:38 AM

rwven we must be two of a kind. I currently own a 96' PC800 and enjoy it immensely. I too, would purchase a "dullville" if it ever became available in the states. I even had a british friend look at importing it. Didn't think it could be done and the cost was way high.

Cdogman 01-03-2007 04:48 AM

I gotta wing (GL 1800) to learn on. Fun, Lotsa toys now..... then gotta Vulcan 750 for play, fun bike.......... Then gotta FJR1300AE. If I hadta keep just one, Feejer would be it. I think I am into super sport touring.

I Wanna see the new concours too, Gotta see it.