Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #31
Nap
Founding Member

Default Re: Poll: Choose Your Swiss Army Bike

Wow. I wasn't even an afterthought in '51... but I'm old enough to agree that's a great-looking bike. Incidentally, this rider seems to have the right idea for keeping one in motion.

My Swiss Army Bike is a 2nd gen Bandit 1200, so I can only boggle at the "mad skillz" it must've taken to keep a BSA in running order.
Nap is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #32
gear_head
Registered Member

Default What I own now.

It is what I own now, a DL650 V-Strom. I've DONE all of the above including the everyday commuting thing for a few months. In fact, though I've done the trips, twisties, and (I guess) the cruising, living with the bike everyday while commuting was what made me realize what a honey she was. It's a good test for a bike. Oh and add travel rough and unpaved roads to your list. (Yes, I know other bikes can do it as well but other bikes like my old generation Concours are not NEARLY as easy or fun). Oh, and when I still lived in NYC- It's a great bike for Bonzai lane-splitting too. Yeah, she'll do pretty much anything.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #33
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Choose Your Swiss Army Bike

The bike would have to be easy to work on, inexpensive to maintain, have great fuel range, handle chopped up back roads, handle miles of freeway, be easy to modify for semi-serious off-roading, have a substantial dealer network, a and abundant parts supply and a loyal following of enthusiastic owner.

KLR650

It has the most neutral and roomy seating position of any bike I've ever ridden, will go off-road where it has no right to, has a range of about 300 miles on a tank and will corner on the black top very well. Perfect for that trip to the Arctic Circle. And for about $900, you've got a decent supermoto conversion.

BMW GS of any kind would come in second, followed by a Suzuki DR650.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

My buddy really likes his R1100R. With more aggressive tires he prefers it for the occasional dirt road because it isn't so freaking high off the ground and the porcine weight isn't so intrusive. He purposefully sold his R1150GS in favor of the lower R1100R. I'd say the R1100R is probably as vanilla as you can get. It'll do just about anything you would expect a road bike to do. It's cheap for a BMW and even is available in ABS.

Myself, I don't cross road and off-road functions. Bikes that are designed for both are just not what I like for either. So I couldn't ever go with the one bike stable. I'd go for a ZRX/Bandit for road and a DRZ400 for offroad/getting to the offroad. Those two would cover 95% of bases. Then I need 2 more bikes to cover the other 5%.... never mind.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #35
ewok1
Founding Member

Good one. When I read the post I thought, yep good idea for some discussion. But it can't be done. Nope ya just can't have one bike do it all. You can decide you are not going to do it all and then buy the best bike for what you want to do. So I like pavement. I'll own a gsxr 750 if I have to have one bike. And I'll own a GSXR 750 with more than one bike.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #36
rwven
Registered Member

My present ride is a Honda Pacific Coast, a great all around street bike.

I'd buy a Honda Deauville if they imported it.

I'm kinda partial to the Buell Ullyses also.
rwven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #37
ofreen
Registered Member

My '93 R100GS-PD is a great all-round bike. I've often said if I only had one bike, that would be it. But saying you are going to have only one bike is like saying you are only going to have one woman. It's just an absurd notion.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #38
schizuki
Founding Member

How's this for a Swiss Army Bike?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #39
SuperBill
Founding Member

I’d have to go with the BMW R1200GS. I rented one for ten days in the Alps and was astounded by its all-around capability. It’s kinda’ heavy, but my all-purpose bike must be capable of long-duration deployment with a passenger, and the big GS with it’s big GVW excels in this regard. Asphalt or earth surface, smooth or rough, tight twisties or high-speed sweepers, country roads or city traffic – this big ugly Beemer does it all.

Now, if I was a one-up kindaÂ’ guy, IÂ’d be taking a long, hard look at the Wee-Strom.

By the way, look here http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/a...id/1134496434/ to see what the Swiss Army used for a Swiss Army Bike!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #40
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

Another vote for the Ducati Multistrada. Light for commuting, and great at touring, great handling, and everyone thinks it costs 3 times what you paid for it! LoL!
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote