Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #51
Gabe
Registered Member

Default "Becoming" Dominated?

"Becoming" Dominated? My friend, less than 5 companies control over 2/3rds of almost all the food grown in this country, although we really only eat corn, beef, chicken, pork and potatoes. The tomatoes are just used for pizza sauce and ketchup. 20 or 30% of meals are eaten in or from fast "food" restaurants, and most of the food sold in superdupermarkets is processed, prepared stuff.

Who grows, processes, cooks, distributes and sells to consumers almost all the food Americans eat? Big corporations. Am I saying corporations are evil? Are sharks evil? Are guns evil? Is an atom bomb evil? Just tools built and used by men (except the shark).

In fact, I think our co-opted by corporations food system is why Americans are so fat, unhappy, depressed, angry and mean. It's why our political system is so divided and why we're so isolated and terrified.

It's all going to be in my upcoming book.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #52
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Ummmm...

I hope they didn't make more than three....

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #53
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re:

I disagree. I think people are fat because they are lazy and stupid.

I think people are "unhappy, depressed, angry and mean" because everyone wants to pass the buck and refuses to take responsibility for their actions. I am speaking specifically to dieting, working, and personal living.

For the most part people are stupid. Shockingly dumb.

On a side note: I have 6 different farmers markets around me all from local farmers. I have another 6 or so local stores owned by local farmers that sell their produce (Tabura Farms kicks some serious @ass in the food department). Between Peddler's Village, New Hope, and Doylestown you can do your entire holiday shopping and avoid the evil big business around here.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #54
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Ummmm...

You are so screwed on this one. I hope the Buell didn't win...
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #55
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: People are fat because...

...we've got too much food. From an evolutionary standpoint we weren't built to have anything we want at our fingertips. And the foods that make us fat today are the ones that sustained us for long periods of time between the hunts and the harvests. Now we just have to pop on down to the Superdupermarket to feed our faces any time we desire. Or better yet, we just order in.

Couple that with the fact that more and more of us spend our working lives sitting at a desk and then spend most of our lesiure time watching TV or or on the stupid Internet...hey, wait a second...
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #56
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Re: Clean Air Plus More Fuel: Pond S***** to the Rescue!

After reviewing the above posts it is appearant to me that ".... we have met the enemy and it is us...". Bring on the review!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #57
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re:

I'm just mean because I enjoy it.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #58
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re:

"In fact, I think our co-opted by corporations food system is why Americans are so fat, unhappy, depressed, angry and mean."

And here I thought it was because the Democrats came to power. Shows what I know!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #59
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Best political post of the year. Good work Gabe

That's your problem in a nutshell schiznoodle. You need to look deeper past the superficial sound bites you hear and see on Faux News...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #60
ksquid
Banned

Default Re:

Yep keep in mind I took my class in economics over 20 years ago. So it doesn't surprise me to hear that now 5 companies dominate. With all of the food company and oil company mergers my econ professor would be saying that problems may require government action in the form of oversight and possible breaking up things a bit.. Which of course will be opposed with every tool available to the power brokers.. Hope the constitution isn't superseded by the Patriot Act III by then. Most libertarians forget that the role of the government in capitalism is a necessary thing.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote