Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #131
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: E85 is more CAFE BS

Every few years, someone comes up with a 'solution' to the problem, just as soon as the technical problems get ironed out. It never happens, of course, because nobody, except a few enthusiasts, is really serious about changing anything. No one wants to change the infrastructure enough to make electric cars practical--you would have to have standardized battery packs that could be slid in and out with minimum hassle, it would have to use something a little less toxic than current battery materials. and so on. Biodiesel sounds good, but what about particulate matter? Europe is starting to get concerned about that sort of thing at about the same time that we're getting all fired up about biodiesel. Same for fuel cells--it takes more energy to make the stuff than it provides. I think it's all slight of hand, designed to keep up from looking too hard at the big ass vehicles we drive, or the lack of any coherent plan to reduce demand, which is the only real way that you can keep prices down. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.....
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #132
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: BTW

Lo Carb diets are SOOOO 2005.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #133
ksquid
Banned

Man you need to read up on Biodiesel. It is much cleaner than petro diesel.. Electric cars have the same problem as hydrogen how do you produce the electricity required? nukes? coal fired plants.. Read more watch Faux News less dave.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #134
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re:

V-4s are the future of motorcycling. Did I get that right? I'm just pinch hitting here.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #135
Blade-Rider
Registered Member

Default Re:

Pretty soon they'll have us eating Soylent Green and loving it.
Blade-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #136
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Faux news is blocked out on our TV. I have been watching this crap come and go since the sixties, and no one has yet pulled the trigger the way you would have to to make it work. I spent my working career in the oil industry, and while I'm pretty sure refineries could be modified to produce biodiesel in the quantities required, you are talking about billions of dollars of investment, and somebody is going to have to make a damn solid business case before anyone will start spending money on anything more than a pilot project. Diesel is one of the easiest fuels there is to produce--just boil the crap out of crude, pull the vapors off at about the right boiling point, condense it back to a liquid, and you got it. It still manages to cost more than gasoline, for reasons that are clear only to people way above my pay grade. If there's a case for biodiesel, Exxon won't be much interested, because they have huge reserves of oil already--all they have to do is get it out of the ground. Folks like Valero might be interested, because they have little or no oil reserves, but they also operate on a quarter to quarter basis, and the long term investment might scare them off, until someone else takes the plunge and invests. I didn't study the Dismal Science in college, but I know how these guys think, and it ain't gonna happen on a large scale unless somebody (the govt) comes up with some serious money, and we both know that ain't gonna happen, no matter who is in the White House.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #137
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Clean Air Plus More Fuel: Pond S***** to the Rescue!

Just how quick would a 600 be if it ran on biodiesel?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #138
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re:

You forgot to throw in a derogatory GTPB or whatever comment, and call everybody a Weasel and a Bush-apologist.

Other than that, you pretty-much nailed it spot-on.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #139
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Al Gore for President!

Oh, wait. That's an Inconvenient Campaign.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #140
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Yeah, maybe he can explain how he retained coal subsidies for an unseemly period after we discovered that acid rain was in large part a coal burning phenomenon. Maybe it was because Tennessee is a coal producing state? Let's just not elect any more political royalty for a while. No Gore, no more Bushes, no Kerry's, no Kennedy's. If your parent's didn't have to scuffle a bit, you can't be President. And nobody from Harvard, please.