Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Fuel the fund: AMA contributes $100,000 to Crash-Study Fundraising Effort

Well only 2.7 million to go to get the matching funds for the Feds. Great idea. However, I wonder if the AMA could find some more funds by eliminating the funky membership pins and window decals. Also the cutting the funds spent lobbying against helmet laws.. Just a thought.. Also maybe Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati etc could chip in. Yes I am member of the AMA, since 2001.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Fuel the fund: AMA contributes $100,000 to Crash-Study Fundraising Effort

I agree on all counts. It'd be nice to see the whole of the industry step up and make this happen. We need a REAL comprehensive study on crashes... though I don't want airbags and roll-bars on my bike, so I'm scared of the outcome to.

Sidenote: I gave up on the AMA years back (was a member from '84-'89) after some a*hole reps at a tradeshow found answering relevant questions beneath them. Hopefully that's not the norm... but those pins and decal sure aren't going to draw in members.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

Hey, Buz - Gerald Ford died.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

"However, I wonder if the AMA could find some more funds by eliminating the funky membership pins"

Screw that. They make great tie-tacks. And I'm getting pretty close to twenty years, which should be cool-looking.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
schizuki
Founding Member

"but those pins and decal sure aren't going to draw in members."

One would think the whole "huge lobby of riders speaking as one powerful voice to protect our riding rights" would be enough of a draw. Even outweighing a couple of unfriendly reps at a single show twenty years ago. That's why I cough up $39 hard-earned dollars every year even when it hurts.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
svtech
Registered Member

And here I thought for all these years that posting actual news on this "news" website was prohibited.

R.I.P., Mr. Ford, and sympathy to the family.

svtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:54 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh great. Now not only do we have Buzzardglyd we have schizuzzardki as well.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Right on. Let's spend millions more dollars to find out what we already know. And then do nothing as usual. Does anyone remember the last time the Fed got really interested in motorcycle safety? We almost got seat belts, automatic kill switches in the seats and linked braking forced on us. Heaven only knows what demented ideas the nanny-staters are going to come up with this time to "solve" whatever problems the study thinks it finds.

Ah, well. No need to let reality intrude. At least this'll make a lot of people feel good.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Popularity of motorcycling will be its undoing. It boils down to this. Few people have the physical and mental skill to ride a motorcycle well, and fewer still work on their skills on a consistant basis. With the popularity of motorcycling rising rapidly, there is always a large mass of idiots that should be nowhere near a motorcycle, much less riding one. As the off themselves in ever increasing numbers, the long time rider gets stuck with the consequences. This is why we have stupid laws to load up everyone with all the protective gear they can handle and hope for the best. Certainly training, tougher testing and education will help, but most people aren't going to be very good anyway, so we already know what is going wrong, and it's the inability of John Q. to really get a grasp of riding a motorcycle. There is no comprehensive safety solution short of banning motorcycles entirely, or making the requirements to ride a motorcycle so tough, that the masses stay away in droves. Not good for the sport or the manufacturers, but it's great for safety. Hopefully, motorcycling will go back to obscurity, and we can be free of all the hand wringing by our public officials.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Tougher testing? Ha! That'll be the day. Have you seen the numbers of doddering elderly that are still allowed to drive? The AARP will ensure that the most incompetent and dangerous drivers are issued licenses.