Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Fuel the fund: AMA contributes $100,000 to Crash-Study Fundraising Effort (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4174-fuel-fund-ama-contributes-100-000-crash-study-fundraising-effort.html)

longride 12-27-2006 03:56 AM

Re: Fuel the fund: AMA contributes $100,000 to Crash-Study Fundraising Effort

Man, I have a story when I was at the DMV getting my address changed that would scare the hell out of you. This old Polish guy walks in with his daughter and he has to be 90 and she explained that he just came over and is looking to get his license. Can't speak a word of English, he's mostly deaf, and has glasses that have Coke bottle lenses. Well the daughter is translating and screaming at him because he can't hear, and he doesn't really understand what the hell is going on. I'm saying to my wife "Watch, they are going to give this guy a license!" I kept watching this scene and I can't see how they just didn't tell this guy his driving days are over. Anyway, he has to fill out this form first, and he has no f$cking idea what they want him to do, so they tell him to go home and get the form filled out by someone and get some identification and come back tomorrow. I'm sure the guy is driving around somewhere today. Scares the shyt out of me.

TheFox 12-27-2006 06:55 AM

Fo' Shizzle.

--The Fox

Gritboy 12-27-2006 07:24 AM

I hold grudges and the AMA lost me years ago. A recent open house at a dealership with AMA reps just proved to me once again that at least the reps (not the organization), don't seem to want new memberships from people that "appear" to not have money (or perhaps it was because I wasn't riding a Ducati, Hog or BMW). Don't know, and at this point, don't care. Regardless... if I get snubbed repeatedly, you never get my money... ever!

Seeing the fiasco that AMA Superbike racing is too (even if they're only modestly associated with the racing circuit), I still find the AMA's ability to find the "pulse" of motorcyclist here in the states somewhat dubious. Unless I missed some big promo or announcement, I'd love to see some new blood and "attitude" spring forth from them, or some other pro-motorcycle organization.

Gritboy 12-27-2006 07:29 AM

Yep. I know here in California, you can see lax testing or even outright favoritism or uncaring about enforcing licensing rules at the DMVs. Fair testing of everyone would be great. Of course I more scared of the stats on how many unlicensed drivers are out there.

sarnali2 12-27-2006 08:22 AM

Try living on the West Coast. Ever heard of DWA? it's incredible how poorly some of them drive. About a week ago I almost had a Camry for lunch. I was in my Exploder pulling on to the freeway looking over my shoulder to gage when I could pull in and accelerating, when I turned back around Mama-San had stopped dead at the end of the on ramp and was waiting to pull on. I dropped the anchor on my my ABS then managed to steer around her and onto the freeway. All the cars behind me did pretty much the same while she sat there without a clue.

pplassm 12-27-2006 08:39 AM

"I know I am getting better at golf because I am hitting fewer spectators."

Classic.

pplassm 12-27-2006 08:41 AM

And yet, they won't let you put a license plate on your dirt bike.

bikeraccsrvivor 12-27-2006 12:06 PM

Motorcycle Crash Causation Study

"The actual funding provided for 2006 and expected for 2007 will represent a total reduction of 828,000 below the levels authorized by Congress for this study."

"The Federal share is 50%."

"The American Motorcycle Association may provide assistance with dissemination."

For more on this Fact Sheet go to: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/safetealu/factsheet5511.pdf

Contacts are firnish on this Fact Sheet if you have any questions.

We need this study, obviously!!!

Garry Van Kirk

Bikers Accident Survivor Forum

www.bacsuv.com