Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
echo15
Registered Member

Default Re: Lay-R-Down

The only time I laid down, it was not my decision.
echo15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
bross
Registered Member

I think the only time you'll here this is by an inexperienced rider who doesn't have a lot of experience or confidence to lean their bike over a little (or a lot) farther to make the corner that they just headed into too hot. They lock up their back brake causing a skid and say something they think will let them save face. "I had to lay er down". Sorry I don't buy it. I was riding through a parking lot when a car backed out right in front of me. I remember countersteering and then reaching for the brakes. Next thing you know I'm sliding across the pavement and I kissed the pavement with my chin. I was ATGATT and never got a scratch or anything. I screwed up and locked up both brakes. Suppose I could've said "I had to lay er down" but I just tell people I screwed up, locked up my brakes and like you said, crashed. I have learned from that (hopefully) and practice using progressive squeezes of the brakes and not grabbing a handful.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
flyin_ryan
Founding Member

I don't know how "laying a motorcycle down" would avoid an accident. First off, a bike on its side cannot be controled. Second, last time I checked, metel frame or plastic fearing does not have the traction ability that rubber tires do so how could that possible make a bike stop faster?

flyin_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Generally people have 2 stories to tell at the bar after landing on thier ass on the road.

1. "Someone pulled out in front of me and I wasn't paying attention and didn't have the skills to avoid hitting them or brake properly, so I hit the rear brake too hard and was too stiff with fear to touch the front brake and fell down looking like a complete fool."

2. "Some SOB cut me off, so I layed er down and saved the day. I didn't even use the front brake so I didn't go over the handlebars! Good thing my hog ridin experience saved the day or I'd be dead instead of drinkin with yooos guys"

I heard #2 more times than you can imagine.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Don't forget after you lay her down you climb on the bike and surf it 'till it stops.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
twinzrule
Founding Member

I've always wondered how you learn the correct way to "lay a bike down"? Is that something you practice? Like I practice panic stopping. I haven't heard a lay it down story from anybody firsthand lately. I don't get it. It just sounds like intentionally giving up control.
twinzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
LightninRVF750
Registered Member

Well, sometimes when you're being chased, you have no choice but to lay it down, slide under the trailer of the 18-wheeler blocking the road, pop it up on the far side and keep going. Which is of course fairly simple if you're riding a narrow-profile high-torque Italian V-Twin.
LightninRVF750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
chickenman_26
Founding Member

It's unintentionally giving up control. But how are you gonna tell that to your drinkin' buddies and not look like a jackass? Of course, many of them have done it too, so they know you're a lyin' sack of...

Another problem with the layin 'er down story is that some of them actually come to believe their own nonsense and don't learn anything from the episode.

CM
chickenman_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
GrisoDG
Founding Member

I layed er down a lot o times and then jumped rite on top o her.
GrisoDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #10
pdad13
Founding Member

Let me think about this. If you lay her down to avoid an accident, didn't you just cause another one?

(I've heard this nonsense from some people, too and I can barely keep a straight face anymore.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote