Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 AM   #91
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Re: Lay-R-Down

I actualy have seen that out at WSIR once... no kidding I'd do it if I could when crashing!
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #92
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Re: New Data from Instructor Seruzawa's Cruiser School

true a bike with a longer wheel base will have a more effective rear brake due to more weight being on the rear tire. Blut equaly true that a sport bike with a shorter wheel base while lacking rear brake effectiveness gains front brake effectiveness.

So there is a equal trade off bettween front and rear brakes based on weight distribution (usualy effected by wheel base) This trade off really doesn't matter at all and shouldn't effect stoping distances untill.......

they shorten it so much the bike lifts the rear wheel before locking the front so much that you can't brake for fear of doing an end over end. At this point a bike that keeps the rear down a little better is going to win out.

That said sport bikes are probably shorter than they should be for ideal braking but proper body positioning should fix that... or at least come really close.

IMHO sport bikes are still going to be safer.

FYI - also streets tend to have less traction than a track... they tend to be dirty, uneven etc. so a shorter wheel base is even more ok in these conditions.

I've practiced emergency braking several times on my Ninja 500 and it definatly locks the front before flipping end over end.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote