Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Madness in Alabama.

It's been a couple of years since The Wife and I have gone - seems they've added/changed a few things (the stacked motos display is frakkin' kewl!).

If you've never been - you OWE it to yourself to see it at least once, before you die.

It's not just the display motos - you get a good look at any goings-on at the track (the Porsche Challenge was running when last we visited), various sculpture abound; Like the Giant Ants carrying away a racebike and rider, a 40'-diameter Wolf Spider, and the "Racing Masks" - a 2X-life bronze statue on the front lawn of the Museum proper.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Somehow, it appeals to me that at least some of them are actually ridden now and then.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I went there last year. Fantastic facility they have there. It's actually in Leeds Alabammy, not Birmingham.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Neal
Founding Member

Pencil Oct19-21 on your "must do " calendar. Thats next years Barber Vintage festival. In addition to the museum,this year there was an American Antique Motorcycle Association show,2 other bike shows,Triumph demo rides,2 days of AHRMA road racing,AHRMA motocross and a large swap meet. Next year promises to be even bigger. It's beginning to rival Mid Ohio VMD as the premiere American vintage happening. The museum alone is worth the trip but 3 days of Immersion in the world of motorcycles is incredible.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Another Pilgrimage

I told myself years ago "before I die, I'm going to the Honda Collection Hall at Motegi, Japan." With a marriage date pending and 40th birthday approaching, I was lucky enough to hook up with a buddy from Japan who I met at a rally (God bless the internet and email) who loaned me his CBX so we could ride (at very high speed) from his place in Yamagata through the mountains in Japan to Motegi. Wow wow wow.

The Collection Hall is awesome, filled with every concievable noteable Honda (bikes and cars, and weed whackers, too) and a ton of race bikes. And best off all, they ride each and every one of them at some point during the year on the Motegi track (yes, including the six-cylinder 250 GP bikes- dear lord , the sound of it....). There is an entire seperate facility and staff devoted to keeping EVERYTHING in the museum running.

An epic, epic trip, glorious riding, and the Hall is amazing. I could at last die (if need be) in peace.

So now I'm hitched (bless her, she loves my bikes) and got a boy on the way (March 17th!).

I've been hearing about the Barber facility for several years like the rest of you, and it's my new pilgrimage. When will I get there? Who knows, maybe when I hit 50 (which is the new 30).

I guess this rambling is just my way of saying: do what you can to see those places you dream of. And if possible, take the long way to get there. The Barber hall is an American jewel of motorized splendor. Get together with your crew, make the plans, save the nickels, schedule the time off, and get your butt to Birmingham on your favorite ride.

You'll die unhappy if you don't.

GOB
Old 12-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
Neal
Founding Member

As much fun at Alice's Restaurant? hardly......Barbers is sensory overload....Ive been around bikes my whole life and been to several museums and dozens of shows and there were some bikes there Ive never seen. The race bikes are particularly awesome; dont see many MV Augusta 4 cylinder racebikes at Alice's Id wager.....or Bimota framed Aermacchi RR 350's.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
bigjames
Premium Member

I saw this comment "Somehow, it appeals to me that at least some of them are actually ridden now and then." and it made me chuckle. George Barber likes to ride and apparently likes to ride old stuff. If he goes up to a bike and says "I want to ride this bike" it had better be ready to ride in an hour or so or someone better have a damned good reason it can't! One of the curators told me that the last time I was up there, as he was pulling one off the floor to prep it for one of those rides! If you look close at a lot of the bikes, they are so obviously restored to riding conditions (related warts and all) it is almost insane! Of course some of the anicient stuff appears to be concours quality, even some of those have pans to catch the dripping oil! Like someone said, if you get even close to this place (and yes it is in Leeds, east of Birmingham, but used to be in Birmingham when it was at the old dairy) you really must go. However, be prepared, you will spend all day with your mouth hanging open and you will, in most cases, find the bike just like what you started on along with a couple of hundred objects of lust....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

No, but you ain't gonna see AEE kit choppers at Barbers!
Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
brax4444
Registered Member

Have you ever even been to Birmingham, MOfo?
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
brax4444
Registered Member

I read ALL are kept in running condition. Displayed with the proper oil level and the works.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote