Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #51
ksquid
Banned

Default me too i.e. rebuttal kpaul says Speed kills

Interesting idea but the only way it could be enforced is with the addition of a black box "ride recorder". I thought you were against these nanny state type ideas. By the way using momentum il.e mass time velocity is probably inferior to using kinetic energy which uses square of the velocity times the mass times a half. [b] Kinetic energy is more important measure in ballistics and collision damage.

[i]So speed in fact does kill

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #52
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Bikers Playing '...fast and loose.'

I have seen more stupidity exhibited by motorcyclists in the last 5 years than I have in my past 35 years of riding. Would-be stunters cranking wheelies and stoppies in traffic on surface streets and interstates, shorts-clad FJ 1300 riders wheelieing down freeway onramps with similarly-clad female passengers on board, shorty-helmeted, bare-chested-except-for-leather-vests cruiser bikers thundering and smoking away from stop lights, sport bikers at 100 mph skimming knees on back roads, etc. etc. Then there are the gathering of imbeciles in Myrtle Beach, Daytona and Strugis. Thong-wearing cruiser and sportbike passengers cruising down Main Street.

I have also seen more bikers in the past five years than ever before. I would expect more stupidity than ever before but not more stupidity per biker. Stupid is as stupid does. More persons = more stupidity. There are also plenty of arguments to refute bad behavior.

But, we have much blame to accept. We do a lot of dumb things in plain sight. We make a lot of noise. No wonder people are taking notice and voicing their negative comments. For the sake of our beloved sport, please try to get caught doing something right. Help out a stranded motorist. Raise money for pediatric brain tumor research. Collect toys for needy kids at Christmas. KEEP YOUR BIKE QUIET. Take your speed needs to the track. Ride like you have a lick of fukking sense. And stop making excuses for idiots. Let someone know when you see them acting like an idiot. And if someone points out to you that you are acting like and idiot, take it to heart. DonÂ’t get defensive if you indeed are an idiot.

We've been beaten to the punch. Don't counter punch. It just won't work.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #53
pdad13
Founding Member

Totally agreed. And I have taken to calling out idiots on bikes when given the opportunity. I've also tried to be courteous at every turn.

But the perception created by the idiots and sensationalist hacks--particularly that reckless motorcyclists are killing large numbers innocent bystanders--is total bullsh*t and needs to be addressed, too.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #54
schizuki
Founding Member

Something I've always been curious about - I wonder how many bikers kill old ladies every year compared to how many old ladies kill bikers?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #55
svtech
Registered Member

Can't help you with those stats, schiz.

I've learned (after considerable pain and expense) to just steer clear.

svtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #56
Tadgh
Registered Member

i can testify to that i have had two bikes killed by old ladies ....
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:56 AM   #57
SRMark
Founding Member

I think so too, but I'm just trying to think of the best way to get that message across. I don't know that a direct response is best here. It may very well be. But, I'm more concerned that what will be heard won't be reacted to as we would like. And, if we work on building up our image, in the long-run, it will be more effective than counter punching with the sensationalist idiots.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #58
zenjim
Registered Member

A few points I gleaned from the articles linked from her web site:

1. One of the investigators said he was "going 65, maybe 80" in another article. Big difference.

2. One article regarding this accident has a map and a better description. Looks to me like she was turning left - right in front of the bike. Sound familiar?

3. And I also found this quote, "Nunnally said, 'I never saw anyone check the body of the man on the motorcycle. I think it was just assumed that he died on impact. It makes you wonder if there was more you could have done.' " Good to know.

4. I recently read an article regarding the raising of a freeway speed from 55 to 65. When the usual pantywaist brigade began to cry about the carnage to come, the transportation dept pointed out that there is no data to conclude that a 10 mph speed increase resulted in any increase in fatalities.

So what we may actually have is a guy going 65 in a 25. Bad, but not insanely bad. He then had a woman pull in front of him in the classic intersetion foul up. That's a whole different story, but one that is not as sensational as a crazed racer on a land torpedo.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #59
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Land Torpeda

what's the threshold for a "big ticket"? what kinda naughty mischief have you been up to?
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 AM   #60
tomk2
Founding Member

just car driver making a careless left turn in front of a motorcycle... only difference is this time the driver got killed too

if the rider had been doing 35 instead of 65 he still woulda been dead but the story wouldn't have been news
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote