Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
sivacor
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 Sprint ST vs 2006 Honda VFR. Which One?

Definitey the Sprint. Both are very good Sport Touring bikes, but ever since Honda added variable valves to the VFR (in 2003?), the VFR has suffered from lots of criticism re: throttle response and lumpy power delivery. The Sprint, on the other hand, was significantly updated last year and given a bigger, smoother three cylinder. The only criticisms of the Sprint seem to be engine heat managment (cooks your legs in hot weather) and poor side luggage (something Triumph was going to fix this year - not sure if they did). Plus I think the Sprint is much nicer looking - IMHO.
sivacor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Jvliv
Registered Member

Something to consider, customer support and service. I own a Triumph and I love it. However, scheduled maintnance is very expensive, $600, to $1000 a year. Second, I have found that warranty service is worthless. I have had problems with front brakes, fuel tank venting, rear brake mount, and loose steering head bearings. All issues had to be resolved by me because Triumph was not interested. Another issue is parts. It took four months to get replacement bulbs for the instrument cluster. I know four other people who own or have owned Triumphs, similar stories.
Jvliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
ewok1
Founding Member

I currently have an 05 Viffer, the barcalounger of sport bikes. it's heavy and slow but just about the perfect touring machine for a sport bike enthusiast. I had a sprint rs a couple years ago. It too was a great bike. They do things differently but I think you would be happy with either.

Don't buy into the vtec thing on the viffer, its only mildly annoying and not nearly as bad a hit as say a 98 R1 has. You learn to ride around it and even if you forget its not a big deal at street speeds. The viffer is not a track day bike so if you have double duty in mind go another direction, the viffer is downright scary at high speed on the brakes compared to a real sport bike. i don't know, can't tell if its the linked brakes or what but it was not fun. i wonder how freddie spencer does it. it probably has to do with him being freddie spencer.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
ejis
Founding Member

What's wrong with the brakes at high speed? What does it do that's scary? Do you have the ABS version?

Also, Honda updated the mapping (EFI? VTEC? dunno...) to improve the power delivery in '06. As I haven't ridden one, I won't comment on whether or not it's better though.

I had a '94 and it did just about everything well. The only thing I'd want to change is make it a little quicker, but then you'd probably loose some of it's stability.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
vfr101
Registered Member

I have owned a Honda VFR (199 and a Triumph Sprint RS (2002). Warranty service is all about the dealer. I found good dealer shops for both brands and got equally good service for both bikes.
vfr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If there is a Triumph dealer close to you I'd get the Sprint.

I've ridden the previous Sprint and the current VFR and the Triumph is more satisfying to me. It's better looking too.

Both have unique motors. The V4 in the VFR sounds cool as does the triple. The VFR ain't the prettiest thing to look at though.

The Ducati ST3 fits nicely in this group if you want to make your choice a little tougher.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #7
Fenton
Founding Member

The VFR is due for an update. Previous models were changed every 4 years and the current model is working on year 6.

I like the gear driven, non-vtec models myself.

OTOH, I have a Triumph Daytona now and really dig the triple and the support from my dealer.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well why would anyone change the Cycle World Motorcycle of the year?

LOL!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

I thought that was the "Cycle World Biggest Ad Account Award".
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #10
ksquid
Banned

I agree with Buz on this one. Triumph looks better seems to have better luggage integration. VFRs bags kind of stick out. VFR is ugly up front but has a nice profile but starting to look dated. Of course 800cc V-4s are God's holy engine config. Both have available ABS i think.. If you can wait the new VFR is coming next year.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote