Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #61
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: Flathead = Old Tech

Flatheads and horizontally opposed are two completely different styles of engines. :-p

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #62
ksquid
Banned

Agreed.. wow even kpaul, resident motorcycle idiot, knew that..

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #63
ksquid
Banned

Default High tech Flat engine vs. Flat Head

My friend, eekadog, Valkyrie has a boxer engine I believe. "The Valkyrie engine was a 1520cc six cylinder liquid cooled boxer engine transplanted from Honda's Goldwing model."

VS.

"Flathead engine refers to an internal combustion engine that has the valves placed in the engine block beside the piston, instead of in the cylinder head, as in an overhead valve engine. The design was common on early engine designs, but has since fallen from use."

By the way Subaru's have a boxer 4 cylinder engines. I wouldn't call them low tech.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #64
seruzawa
The Toad

Not necessarily. Harley had that opposed flathead they built for the Army in WWII.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #65
DonM
Founding Member

Default Re: Valkyrie 2000! Who Wants One?

Hmmmm, Honda needs a showcase bike for a compact automatic tranny. A new Valk with an automatic tranny that can smoke the rear tire would be perfect. Upping the displacement to two liters and lopping off two of the six cylinders would add some rumble back into the mix.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #66
SmokeU
Registered Member

True. I imagine there can be OHV, OHC, or even desmo opposed engines if they really wanted to build them.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #67
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Flat engine is ancient...

Fine...

"In 1896, Karl Benz patented his design for the first internal combustion engine with horizontally opposed pistons. There are two main types of these engines:

The boxer engine, also known as a horizontally opposed engine, in which the corresponding pistons reach top dead centre simultaneously, thus balancing each other with respect to momentum. Flat engines with four or fewer cylinders are most commonly boxer engines.

The 180° V engine, in which corresponding pistons share a crank pin, and thus each will reach top dead centre half a crankshaft revolution after the other. Flat engines with more than eight cylinders are most commonly V engines. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_engine
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #68
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Flat engine is ancient...

Flat engines with more than eight cyclinders are most commonly V engines. Somebody at Wikipedia should have his ass introduced to a hole in the ground, and the differences noted.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #69
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Valkyrie 1800! Who Wants One?

I would like to politely differ. With the VFR 750 they finally got it right. It's still an expensive engine to build, a bit heavier, etc, etc, but it's narrow and sounds different from any other four. Old Man Honda believed in them, and they kept with it till they got it right. One of the few times Honda just went with it's gut on something. It will probably never be able to compete with the I4 on Kpauls index, but it's narrow, so the pegs don't have to be quite so high to give good clearance, and even us old guys can actually feel our toes after a couple of hours in the saddle. I think there's a place for V4s in the Sportbike for Grownups category. It is a pity they didn't pitch the VTEC and add 100 cc or so., however. They don't really seem to have any direction any more.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #70
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Valkyrie 1800! Who Wants One?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've owned several Honda cars, and they always seemed to have the stuff I wanted, and none of the things I didn't. I felt like they had me in mind when they built them. For me, the Yamaha's of the early 80's were fascinating, for some of the same reasons. but there were only four or five other people out there that felt the same. All that innovative thinking damn near sunk Yamaha, and I think Honda is afraid of the same thing. Still wish they'd made the Vision with about 200 more ccs though. And that Honda would grow some cojones.