Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-04-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Increasing usability for a sport bike?

Forget the modifications. Just go to the gym. That always solved everything here. On a serious note, start with a bike that fits pretty close at the start. The modifications will only help some with comfort. Otherwise look at getting a naked with a flat bar like a Tuono or FZ-1. Good luck.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2006, 04:32 AM   #2
dean_1
Founding Member

Any bike is a compromise. The real question is what works best for you. I ride a stock Daytona 955 for commuting, touring and fun - for me it is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. I figured I'd replace the seat immediately but it works for me. If you think you will like a modification you probably will but I have found that generally modifications lead to other compromises that often diminish the overall riding experience. Bar risers can impede the turning radius by hitting the tank or require the fairing be cut for clearance. Rear sets and risers change your leg and arm position but but do not necessarily improve comfort especially on an all day ride. Rear sets may also require repositioning the rear brake fluid reservoir which may require a longer or shorter brake line. Seating is too personal an experience for anyone to take judgement on or give advice.

On the other hand you should give it a try if your interested. I went through the modification stage and eventually developed the philosophy to accept the bike for what it is but I'm old now and that changes ones perspective.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:43 AM   #3
lindsey
Registered Member

Modify! I owned a Concours for years, which is supposed to be a comfortable bike. Then I bought a newer Connie to which someone had added peg extenders, bar risers and cruise control. I had no idea how much MORE comfort I could have been enjoying, especially on the long haul. I'd go bar risers first, if you have to choose. On a sportbike they eliminate that "monkey f***ing a football" position.
lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

My '04 Triumph 955i has all of the above. I started off with adding 1/2" of memory foam to the seat(easy install) then cycle-cat risers, they are a bit more expensive than Heli or Genmar but twice the quality imho.

Next comes the tricky part, buy a set of buell lightning pegs, $34/pair, they have a 3/4" drop from the mounting point. You may need to drill, grind or sand a little here or there on the peg to get everything to line up. The pegs can be switched over in 3-4 minutes and are perfect if you know it's going to be a long day in the saddle.

Good luck
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I'd take a look at the Triumph Daytona 955i. Solid sportbike performance and much better egos to start with than any of the other "new" ones (I think of it as a new ZX-9R, another not bad starting point). That triple, up near redline under load... best sounding streetbike engine?

Stock sportbikes can be relatively comfortable to travel on, as long as you can keep the speed up over 90...
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
TwistedKestrel
Founding Member

That's funny ... I own a Daytona 955, and it is the least comfortable bike I've ever owned. Mine's the 1997, though, maybe your experience is different.
TwistedKestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
rett
Registered Member

You might consider a SV 650 (standard), which has the riding position you want with a sport bike feel.
rett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Just buy a used ZRX or a Speed Triple.

Problem soved.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
ksquid
Banned

Go the gym...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
fargyle
Founding Member

I did exactly that to a 2001 R1: Heli bars (not risers, just different angle) and adjustable rearsets (don't remember brand) which pivot down and back. Changed the riding position to more vertical and gave more room for the legs. As a bonus, the Heli bars are a little longer than stock, so provide more leverage, bike doesn't want to run wide in corners; they also make wrist/angle position more natural in full turn, with OEM bars find I end up steering with outside bar when deep in turn.

On downside, the Heli bars are more flimsy than OEM (as someone remarked), so removed them this year since they amplify vibration more.

Also have Corbin saddle, which is most comfortable saddle I've owned, including a prior gel saddle; seems to work best with revised position.

The R1 was a great fit to start with, with the bars and pegs it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden (including K75, Electraglide, Softail Springer, original Hurricane 1000, SV650, Suzuki GS1100G with Vetter fairing): rode 3500 miles through 8 states over 10 day Christmas vacation a couple of years ago.

Re. someone else's comment on SV650, it's great around town, but too buzzy and too cramped for 6 footer for more than an hour's highway riding.
fargyle is offline   Reply With Quote