Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
fargyle
Founding Member

Default Re: Increasing usability for a sport bike?

Should clarify that size comment on SV650 is re. original tubular frame model; I've read that new flimsy-flier frame is more spacious.
fargyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
BillyO
Registered Member

You gotta start with ape hangers to save your wrists. Then BIG OL` LEATHER SADDLE Bgs.

Next a sportin` sissy bar.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

I have a '86 GSXR750 that I've slightly modified for commuting touring. I have some Tomaselli adjustable clip-ons that I have raised about 1". I also installed a different nose fairing that tips the windscreen up higher - but this was a mistake. The screen is now high enough that the turbulence off the windscreen hits me around the bottom of my helmet. Makes it very noisy. I'm going to switch back to the lower one that leaves my head in smooth air.

The other mods: I welded a loop onto the passenger grab bar and mounted a tail-trunk big enough for two helmets on it. I mounted rear view mirrors from a Katana that are long enough to show something besides my elbow. I welded some pieces onto the passenger pegs to lower them and inch. I cut the cavity out of the gas tank that held the air cleaner and soldered a closure over it to gain almost a gallon extra. This required change to individual K&N air filters.

I haven't done any real tours, but I've ridden it to Laguna Seca about six times (305mi one way) and I commute (12mi one way) most days. I've put over 100,000mi on it. The mods help, but I only consider the tail-trunk essential. I've also ridden my Aprilia RS250 to Laguna several times with no mods (except a tail trunk).
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 AM   #14
Steve781
Founding Member

Default How About the Obvious?

Instead of going to all that trouble, why not just buy a sporty-sports tourer to begin with?

VFR anyone? A VFR 750 or 800 should do the trick.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: How About the Obvious?

Absofreakinlutely! I own an older VFR and love it to death. Triumphs ST is a dandy too, though I've heard they have heat management problems. Ducati ST3 and ST4s are also aimed at wide spectrum riding, and all of these bikes can have their bars raised up a bit if need be. Currently, the ST3 make make the most sense, if the pricey valve adjustments don't scare you off. (VFR valve adjustments are not exactly cheap either, but happen only every 16k.)
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
P-Ratt
Premium Member

I had a '00 ZX9R with heated grips for the cold months, brighter headlights for night riding, radar detector for the long hauls which were repeated several times a week, soft luggage for the essentials, and that's about it. I liked the stock seat and bar position. I would have liked more legroom, but didn't find anyone who made peg lowering kits until I lost the bike to an errant Saturn operator.

I also installed taller final drive for better economy when I was commuting long distances (200 miles each way 2x/week) for about two years. Didn't make as much difference as I hoped, but I did gain a MPG or two and the speedometer was remarkably accurate.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #17
P-Ratt
Premium Member

I had a '00 ZX9R with heated grips for the cold months, brighter headlights for night riding, radar detector for the long hauls which were repeated several times a week, soft luggage for the essentials, and that's about it. I liked the stock seat and bar position. I would have liked more legroom, but didn't find anyone who made peg lowering kits until I lost the bike to an errant Saturn operator.

I also installed taller final drive for better economy when I was commuting long distances (200 miles each way 2x/week) for about two years. Didn't make as much difference as I hoped, but I did gain a MPG or two and the speedometer was remarkably accurate.
FZ1
Old 11-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #18
P-Ratt
Premium Member

FZ1
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #19
Gritboy
Founding Member

I'd stay away from the total crotchies... great bikes, but a lot of work to make something less focused and more comfy. Pick up an old VFR or Blackbird and you'll need to do little. An SV-1000, ZRX, Z750S or most standards will fit ergo-wise, but you may want better wind protection for touring. Don't count out the DPs either (V-Strom, GS, Tiger, etc.) if you don't mind the height.

That said, I prefer not to play with the stock geometry much, so long as the base seat is decent and I have room to move around for the long haul, that's usually all that's needed. My old '99 ZX-9R was wonderfully comfy with a custom Corbin saddle -- I didn't need to do bar risers or rearsets, because I have ape arms, so I find I can sit upright on most sportbikes. If you live in cold climes heated grips will make you cry with joy.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote