Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-24-2006, 06:17 AM   #21
LiionsRest
Registered Member

Default Re: The Cool, Green Future

If the first post is correct, then a 'hydrogen economy' is just a placebo supplanting a real solution. However, one thing to keep in mind is the overriding need to 'get off' fossil fuels. The missing key is to find ways to generate the hydrogen gas without using natural gas or other finite resource. The low energy density of hydrogen is a serious concern, and certainly puts the wisdom of 'switching' to it in doubt.

The cleanup of diesel emissions is more immediately interesting to me than all the hydrogen related stuff.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #22
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Re: Where Does Gasoline Come From?

oviously the gasoline route is more efficent enegry wise.

Even plaining old natural gas is less enegry efficent , then add on top converting it to hydrogen! it's pretty rediculious.

(by energy effecent I mean the rate of return vs the energy investment)
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #23
Gluge
Registered Member

electric and batteries I believe are a lot closer to being a good energy carrier methoid than hydrogen... we already have almost all the electric wiring infastructer, and we already know how to make electricity with out burning fossil fuels.... (solar, wind etc. all good proven ways)

so why the heck would we switch to hydrogen? and why don't we switch to electric ??
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

I say we generate power via huge windmill farms at places like Martha's Vineyard, Marin County, Malibu, etc.....
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The Ignorant, Green Future

I've already moveed my funds into bonds because I'm anticipating a demorat takeover with the inevitable resulting business crash.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Because batteries make less power as they lose stored energy. And the recharge time is too long.

Your car makes as much power with one gallon of gas in the tank as it does when it's full.

Electric vehicles will always be a "second car."

If you're wife is going into labor are you gonna tell her "sorry honey the car is re-charging."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default It sounds like an old steam engine

I can hear it!

Chugga chugga W! chugga chugga Big Oil! chugga chugga Link! chugga chugga Halliburton!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: There's a rumblin' in the Pacific Northwest

Hey, wait a second. I just read through my copy of the US Constitution and once again I can't find anything about a right to not be offended. So eat it, Honky!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: There's a rumblin' in the Pacific Northwest

Perhaps you have forgotten it's a "living document."
Old 10-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #30
tomk2
Founding Member

I know a couple people that had those GM electric cars, they were pretty pleased with 'em. Never had any problems, kinda pricey up front but cheap to operate.

Good option to have one in a two car family, still had the gas hog for long trips but the electric had plenty of range for the daily commute & errands, etc.

They were all on lease, GM stopped renewing the leases and took 'em all back & scrapped 'em.

Too bad we don't pay for Bushs war by taxing oil/gas (rather than simply borrowing the money from the Chinese)... it might provide a little more incentive for electic cars & such
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote