Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Andonyx
Registered Member

Default Call me cynical...

But the rest of the article makes it sound like she's another pol who thinks societal ills can be cured through legislation. She's big on NHTSA safety regulations, and I dunno... my instinct tells me she'll just love the Honda airbag idea.

Looks it's probably not a bad thing from the perspective of someone who will not come down on bikes because they're less popular than cars. But I'm not sure another "more laws save more lives " attitude is what we need either.

On the other hand I'm pretty excited if she really wants to make flying less of a miserable hell than it currently is.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: New U.S. Transportation Secretary Is A Biker Too.

Flying on commercial aircraft is the only mode of transportation that has gotten worse in the last 40 years.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
ksquid
Banned

Cool article. .Having a fellow motorcyclist, even a GPTB, in the government is a good thing. However, we have to be careful of having the State Government control federal spending on highways in their state, cause then the interstates may suffer. I think the Feds should still collect it and then say you have to spend it on Federal Highways (like she said). Otherwise you will get some wacko to put a state ballot initiative that says cut taxes and then the interstates fall apart. Everyone votes for lower taxes... It took decades to raise the state gas tax in WA state (in was in cents not percentage) and the now the highway system is 20 years behind what it should be...Maybe automated toll system for interstates is a better idea i.e true user fees.

I haven't seen any "big brother" rules and regs come out of the NHTSA that our buddy Fred Rau is should be so paranoid about. Electronic stability Control is a good thing, like air bags and seat belts.. It should be that expensive many Japanese and European autos already have it.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
ksquid
Banned

Totally agree. The Air Traffic Control system is old and antique... Aircraft can't use point to point routes

i.e they have to use 1950ish Flight Paths. Add on the new security checks... Security should be smarter i.e use profiling etc. Don't search 70 year old grandmas..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

I strongly disagree, a republican government has no right passing any "mandatory safety equipment" laws like electronic stability controls. All that did was make cars more expensive abd drivers even less responsible for thier crappy driving.

If you want to make drivers drive safely and defensively make it mandatory to mount a 6 inch spike on the steering wheel aiming right for the chest. I'll bet that would make people think twice before doing something stupid in a car. (BTW most motorcyclists ride under that same premise; "If I do something stupid, it'll hurt!"
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Not so fast. She isn't a real motorcyclist. She rides a Harley.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #7
guppy9
Registered Member

Use profiling??? Yes lets reinforce negative sterotypes and ignorance especially when terrorist come in all shapes, sizes color and religions. If we use profiling it wouldn't be hard for terrorists to find someone who doesn't fit the profile to attack us.
guppy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
jdsmith
Registered Member

No, wait. I've seen her at track day here at Firebird Raceway dragging knees through turns like crazy.

Wouldn't it be great if that were true? And if she didn't wear the pink jacket for that photo op?
jdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
Tigercub
Founding Member

It seems logical to me to tax vehicles by weight and distence traveled - a sort of integrated force on the road surface if you will.

Wipe out all other road taxes including for gasoline, apply deductions for commercial vehicles and earmark the revenue for road construction and repair.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
zenjim
Registered Member

Privatizing roads just sounds like another way of passing the buck to the consumer to increase profits. This is the modern day MBA management style that has enriched the haves and removed services from government and corporations over the past decade. My health care costs are now about 15% of my after tax salary. If I want to take my kids for a walk in the woods, I need to buy a pass. I'm paying $3/ gallon for gas, but the roads (local and interstate) suck so bad, I may need a dual purpose bike just to get to work. I spend my free time helping my kids raise money for my public school's PTA for frivolous things like books and a school nurse.

So tell me what I'm paying taxes for again?

Do me a favor, Miss-I-ride-a-Harley-in-staged-photo-ops-so-I'm-a-regular-gal-you-can-trust. Just make understanding that there are other vehicles on the road called motorcycles part of getting a license. Then make some commercials to that effect and put them on TV since that's the only way anyone in this country learns anything. Then you can get back to passing laws that will enrich your friends while you continue to pillage my wallet.