Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #61
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: New U.S. Transportation Secretary Is A Biker Too.

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm thinking of the guy that set off the bomb in Atlanta during the Olympics, and the idiot who had a dud pipe bomb at some govt building in Carson City Nev. It was so inept that it didn't make a lot of news, but I know a guy who lives around there. What I'm saying is that American Muslims are far more assimilated than they are in Europe, and are less likely to hold extreme views than those in Europe or the Mideast. ELF and those other groups are certainly out there, and can be damn dangerous, especially if you're an off roader or a lumberjack, and happen to hit on one of those spikes that the assholds like to drive into trees, in hopes of breaking a chainsaw chain and maiming it's user. That's the kind of stuff that people do when they're convinced that they are only doing what God whould do if he had all the facts. I think people that are deeply offended by what happened at Waco are mostly thoughtful, reasonably intelligent people, but some of them feel that something dramatic had to be done because people's opinions were just not drastic enough on the subject. Same as the guy who bombed Abortion clinics and the Olympics. He was able to hide here in the USA for how many years before they got him? People were helping him all over Eastern US. What I'm saying is that there are any number of people who would not mind blowing something up to further their agenda, and I think we are asking for trouble if we focus all of our efforts on Radical Muslims. They may properly be our main concern at the moment, but we should not wear blinders in our "war on terrorism" Terrorism is a tactic, and not a thing, like Radical Islam. I'm not sure how you make a war on a tactic. I think this whole problem is the test that has been put forward for your generation. For mine, it was the Cold War. The consequences for failing our challenge could concievably be the end of civilization. What happens if the thirty/forty/fifty somethings fail this challenge, is, as usual, hard to determine. It would be truly ironic if we survived Nuclear holocaust, only to fail because of some hidden flaw in our society exposed by a bunch of fugitive bomb throwers. Frankly, this seems like a law enforcement issue at bottom, with a lean and agile military to do the enforcing, if necessary. Lean and agile doesn't do occupation and rebuilding very well, but that's a whole other issue.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #62
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

My car has it, but it wasn't much of a selling point for me. If I lived back East, instead of here in sunny California, it might be a bigger deal. Southern Californians are some of the best Freeway drivers you're ever going to find, but the turn into idiots when it rains, because they don't understand the traction losses that occur when long dry roads get wet, and float all that oil to the surface. Here in Norcal, we handle rain all right, but become idiots in the snow, for the same reason. Possibly, people back East are on top of things enough to not need stability control or any of the other advances of the last 20 to 30 years, but the increase in fatalities in recent years, after several decades of decreases, kinda makes it sound like we could all use a little help in saving ourselves from ourselves. In a recent trip to Oregon, I went from the mainly rainy Salem/Corvallis/Eugene/Portland area to mountains that get plenty of snow. Almost all the cars that I saw stuck into snowbanks were SUVs. I'm thinking overconfidence is the cause.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 PM   #63
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I don't know if you can tolerate too much of a deduction for commercial vehicles, if we're talking about 18 wheelers, because they are the ones that do most of the damage to the highways in the first place. That's why the right lane tends to to be the bumpiest, and most potholed.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 PM   #64
JmalB
Premium Member

The IRA thank you for your support in their position as freedom fighters. So does Guy Fawkes.

Cat Stevens donated money to Hamas back in his radical convert days...
JmalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #65
JmalB
Premium Member

Riggins, Alstott, and Znoka concur.
JmalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #66
Tadgh
Registered Member

while i understand 9/11 was a tragedy, 3000 ish people died surely the security measures are very disproportionate to the act of terrorism.

how many people have died from gun crime in the last 5 years in the US 100,000? maybe ..

why not solve that problem ? or if people only get killed one at time maybe its ok.

as regards security profiling, what a croc..there have been very very few irish terrorists ever arrested in the US while fund raising for the IRA. why ? maybe because we are white speak english and have similar cultural backgrounds ....the IRA killed and maimed many thousands more innocent people than 9/11, were backed by ghaddaffi in libya and never attracted the same focus of attention

but mainly i believe that for the amount of terrorism that actually happens on american soil the security measures are totally disproportionate
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #67
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Hey, don't bring Native American's into this.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #68
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What? is Al claiming to have invented Television now?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #69
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Have you PRICED a Civic lately?

When I was about to be licensed, if I had the money for a Civic NOW - I would have bought a Porsche THEN, instead of a beatup '74 Roadrunner.

Of course, I probably wouldn't have been able to attract half the attention in a 928 that the Roadrunner did, unless it was on Fire and attended by no less than 3 Engines............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote