Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   New U.S. Transportation Secretary Is A Biker Too. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/4004-new-u-s-transportation-secretary-biker-too.html)

Buzglyd 10-18-2006 12:56 PM

Re: New U.S. Transportation Secretary Is A Biker Too.

It's a bell.

Considered good luck among some.

Personally, it's pretty gay if you ask me.

SuperBill 10-18-2006 01:06 PM

Whoda' Thunk It?

Thanks - I can see it now that I know what it is.

I could use a little luck on track days - do you think I could rig one up on my VTR 1000? Where, praytell, does one get this accessory? Would it be less gay if I got it in anodized black instread of silver?

Buzglyd 10-18-2006 01:44 PM

Re: Whoda' Thunk It?

Well you're riding an inferior Vtwin so even hanging the Liberty Bell off of yer scoot won't do a damn bit of good.

ksquid 10-18-2006 01:46 PM

My 15 year old daughter saw a geezer glide the other day. She and her friends said it looked gay. I starting laughing and thought of you and longride. She then asked if it was a antique. I laughed again and said yes.. Times are changing Buz..

ksquid 10-18-2006 01:57 PM

No such thing as free lunch (unless you live in a red-state)

I agreee for the most part with you. But there are those states (red) that if given the money back would give it back to their residents and not spend a dime on interstates and highways in their states. Wyoming is a good example. Living in Colorado where the highways were ok until you crossed over into Wyoming. Only the interstates are good in Wyoming and because Wyoming doesn't have alot of roads you have to double back to get anywhere.

So unless you replace it with another way of funding the interstates I am a little gun-shy in doing that. In some states(red) any idiot can get an initiative on the ballot that says cut taxes and then boom all of sudden you have no money for roads or schools cause everyone (red-staters) will always vote for a ballot initiative if is says it will cut taxes. i.e. we all want a free lunch but only red-staters can get one from us blue-staters. Fact blue-states pay more into the Fed treasury then they get back..

MadScientistMatt 10-18-2006 02:07 PM

Well, Saddam was sheltering Abu Nidal, the '80s most wanted terrorist. And he backed a plan to assasinate Bush Sr., too. His pet terrorists may have been B-listers at the time of the invasion, but he didn't seem to hate terrorism itself.

The_Aerodynamic_Head 10-18-2006 02:11 PM

logical to tax vehicle weight and distance travelled?

Isn't that exactly what gas taxes do, effectively, insofar as bigger (heavier) vehicles and those who travel further use more gas?

Furthermore, isn't the gas tax the "best" kind of tax (if any tax can be called good) because it's usage based. Unlike property taxes you aren't taxed just for owning something, or estate/probate taxes for merely expiring, but with fuel tax (and other sales/consumption taxes) you are taxed only on that portion of goods/services you actually use.

I thought that was exactly the kind of "fair tax" that most people could get behind. I think what bothers people about the gas tax isn't that it's collected, it's what it's used for. It ought to be used solely for maintenance/development of the public byways, but instead it's also used for subsidizing the struggling American auto. makers, and foreign aid for oil-producing countries like Nigeria and Saudi Arabia.

The_Aerodynamic_Head 10-18-2006 02:14 PM

Re: No such thing as free lunch (unless you live in a red-state)

Best reason yet to not be a blue stater, eh, KPaul?

longride 10-18-2006 02:24 PM

Then she asked why her dad was such a moron. I guess you laughed again.........

seruzawa 10-18-2006 04:06 PM

Re: No such thing as free lunch (unless you live in a red-state)

Don't tell Kook, but Wyoming has improved the roads over the last few years while Colorado's fall apart. I've actually driven on them.

Maxi-Blue State Calif also has major road problems. Calif's budget is so bad, huge deficits, that it had to issue something like 14billion in bonds for repair. Also while this blue state with such an intelligent populace is running a 14billion deficit these highly intelligent people voted a 6billion bond for stem cell research.

They also sent the obviously clinically insane Barbara Boxer back to DC.