Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #81
dean_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Common Sense Motorbiking. Where Is It?

Ah, common sense! Yes, back when I was 55 I figured I was nearing my last new motorcycle purchase so I applied my years of experience and wisdom and did a logical analysis of my needs. Most BMW's made the list along with the V Strom and Tiger. Guzzi and Kawasaki were in the running for awhile along with the Wing and the Bandit. The Bonneville was a contender but just did not fit my body in it's advanced years. Harley?...well...not for me.

So I studied and pondered, priced and considered all the common sense aspects of the motorcycle that would represent a lifetime of accumulated wisdom. Then one morning I remembered, as many of us do if we are lucky, that thing that stirred in my soul the first time I remembered seeing a motrcycle, I remembered what made buy motorcycle magazines at 11 and write each each manufacturer to send a brochure ( I had one from a company named White and another named Cotton). I remembered why I would help people fix their Bridgestone or Vespa just so I could feel the inside of the engine or transmission and learn how they work. That thing that made me ignore my father's warnings and my mother's tears. I remembered that for me motorcycles are about the love of speed. So I hopped (a short one over a rather extended period of time) out of bed went down to the dealer I felt was most interested in my needs and, once again, bought the fastest one I could find.

God I love motorcycles
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #82
familydad
Registered Member

Default Re: Dad, ask the little woman for a weekend with your equipment

DC Dave perhaps you missed a main part of my false premise. A mid-sized bike with shaft drive. Not one of the bikes listed above meet the criteria. As far as the scooters go, I like to row my own gears and want larger tires, so they are eliminated. There is only one mid-size shaft drive bike available and it is a Moto-Guzzi. As I mentioned in another note, the nearest dealer is almost a 100 miles away.

So, before slinging darts, perhaps you should read the whole thing.

By the way, I do own an underappreciated 10 year old Honda PC800 that was gathering dust in someone's garage.
familydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:51 AM   #83
ofreen
Registered Member

What did you get?
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:59 AM   #84
familydad
Registered Member

Default Re: WeeStrom 650 is EXACTLY That bike...

Nweaver my cousin has the vstrom 1000. It is a nice bike. I looked hard at the 650. Also, a very nice bike. What everyone seems to be missing is the shaft drive. I know chains are better and last 20-30k. However, the mid-size shaft drive bikes are being sold in the rest of the world, just not the US.

My premise remains, with the exception of the Moto Guzzi 750 which is impractical because of the distance of the nearest dealer, there are no mid-size, shaft drive bikes sold in the US (scooters excepted and eliminated because of automatic and small tires).
Old 09-26-2006, 04:15 AM   #85
pplassm
Founding Member

Transalp!

But it still has a chain. FamDad is looking for a shaftie.

How about the new Hyosung 650? I think it has a belt or shaft.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 AM   #86
familydad
Registered Member

Default Re: It's all about the $$$$$

jhinton your bike sounds better than mine. I agree with your comments. The manufacturers are only giving us what we are willing to pay for.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #87
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Need?

Rotarys are horrendously inefficient, in terms of gas mileage. I know. I have an RX7.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 AM   #88
Zakman
Founding Member

Common sense bikes - They are sitting in my garage!

2 SV650s, 1 PC800, and 1 Kawasaki Super Sherpa. I've got the bases covered

Zak
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 AM   #89
SmokeU
Registered Member

Yes that's what I was thinking! Thank you.

Eh, I like shaft too, but I could live with a chain. A little maintenance never hurt anyone and teaches responsibility.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #90
zenjim
Registered Member

I'm just pulling your chain brother. If you ask my kids I may already be at old fart-dom. I just think we're in the golden age of bikes right now. Check out a Kawi Z750. Fairly upright ergos, right size, etc. I think there's a lot of bikes that fit that criteria. Suzuki SV, Duc Monster, maybe an old school Bonneville - seems to be right in that middle area, pretty straight ahead ergos, though I'm not sure of the comfort factor long term. Don't give in to father time! You gotta ***** slap him till your hands are sore.