Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #61
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Common Sense Motorbiking. Where Is It?

I thought the wife was demanding a Lexus. The BioLex is da bomb!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #62
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Need?

Agreed..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #63
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT report the True Cost of Gas

Go to view page source in your browser.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #64
lionroyboy
Registered Member

I think that most of us who ride motorcycles do so for the enjoyment of the ride. And, based on what people want to experience, they will buy a bike which provides them that type of experience. Having said that, there are a ton of different bikes on the market, and I'm sure some of them are close to, if not exactly, the type of bike you're looking for. In fact, if you're worried about gas mileage, you might be surprised to find out that I was getting about 50 miles per gallon on several of my last bikes (919, Hayabusa, ST1300, GSX-R1000, and Stratoliner) when I rode them conservatively (which was 95% of the time). To be honest, I haven't been able to quite make 50 miles per gallon on the Stratoliner, but I'm not too far off most of the time. My father rides a SV650, and he always gets well above 50 miles per gallon.

I'm guessing that you're not saying that all bikes should be built for "common sense motorbiking". I'm sure that you understand that so many people, like myself, really want to have that extra occasional, yet convenient and affordable excitement which can be provided by high performance motorcycles. Even though I had a few high performance bikes, I rarely attempted to use that level of performance. But, it was nice to have it when I wanted to use it! On the other hand, I can understand your point that a person shouldn't need all that performance for a person to have fun. But, that extra performance really does seem to make things even MORE fun!

Good luck finding a bike that fits your needs. I'm sure there's something out there that will work for you.
lionroyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #65
jhinton
Registered Member

Default It's all about the $$$$$

I can really relate to this thread. IÂ’ve also wondered when the major OEMÂ’s would offer what I consider a practical motorcycle. When I look at new bikes I donÂ’t really see anything that fits what I want in a motorcycle:

Less than 400 lb

250-500cc

50hp / 50 lb-ft

75-100 mpg

EFI

SHAFT-DRIVE

Factory hard luggage

Touring fairing / seat

Why donÂ’t we get practical motorcycles? ItÂ’s because horsepower is cheap for the OEM and brings a premium in the marketplace. Say an OEM can sell you the same bike with the displacement at 500cc, 600cc, or 750cc that make 50hp, 75hp or 100hp respectively. The manufacturing cost difference at the OEM level is very little, but Americans will pay more for the higher horsepower bike even though it doesnÂ’t cost more to make. It is the American idea that bigger is better. The result is a bigger profit for the OEM and their shareholders. Why would they sell the 500 and make say $1000 if they can sell the 750 and make $3000.

IÂ’m an engineer in the lawn and garden industry and see the same thing. Ten years ago most lawn tractors had 12 to 15hp single cylinder engines and cut grass just fine. Now most tractors have V-Twins in the 20 to 26hp range. There is no practical benefit to customer but heÂ’s willing to pay the extra money for bragging rights.

The John Deere L-Series sold at Lowes and Home Depot is a good example. It is the EXACT same frame, transaxle, and body. The difference is deck size, wheel size, and engine size. The L115 with 19hp single, 20" rear Tires and 42" deck is $1599. The top of the line L190 has a 25hp twin, 23" rear tires, and 54" deck for $2999. So youÂ’re paying almost double for a 20% bigger deck that cost the OEM $5 in extra steel and an extra 6 hp that you donÂ’t need. Both are disposable tractors designed to last 250 hours of total use. The L Series will also be the death of John DeereÂ’s reputation for quality that they have spent the last century building but that is a different story.

jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #66
Vlad
Registered Member

There's a bunch of very sensible bikes that offer a comfortable riding position. Try the Suzuki SV 650, the Buell City X, the Suzuki Burgman, the Honda 599. The manufacturers make them, but they don't advertise them that much. You need to get down to the dealerships ande find these little gems on the floor. They are there, usually hiding behind the latest crotch rocket or cruiser clone.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #67
priday
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB12S bags

Abso-friggin-loutely!

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #68
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Default Dad, ask the little woman for a weekend with your equipment

Yeah, that 2.5 second blast through first gear is better than a double espresso!

You know, "Dad," questions like yours, that begin from a false premise and proceed, really are the worst kind of ignorance. Maybe you could have taken 2.5 seconds to check the model lineup of just big 4, not to mention the italians, the german, etc., etc.

Dad, wake up and smell the reality. There are a TON of new bikes that meet your criteria. The Suzuki Bergman(s?) should be right up your alley (except on the rare occasion when the little woman lets you have your equipment back).

Here are just a few expamples:

Honda: Superhawk, Interceptor, 599, 919

Kawasaki: Ninja 500, Z750S, ZZR600, Ninja 650R

Suzuki: Katana, SV650, GS500F, V-strom 650 & 1000

You know, Dad, if you were a real enthusiast, you'd be able to find that dream bike of yours languishing in some non-enthusiasts garage, pre-appreciated. Maybe JohnnyB can turn you onto Sr. X
Old 09-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #69
Fenton
Founding Member

Now that is funny. It went from cute to funny right around the ZX6 part.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #70
jbourne
Founding Member

Amen.

Every pound over 400 is a pound I don't want to have to pick up and gas I don't need to burn.
jbourne is offline   Reply With Quote