Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-26-2006, 05:03 AM   #91
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Common Sense Motorbiking. Where Is It?

I have nothing against SUV's. I just never owned one. I have had pickup trucks in the past. I just love when dumbass makes ASSumptions about what everyone else does and thinks.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #92
rpt
Registered Member

my first byke was one of these , Honda NTV 650.

I had it all, shaft, low on gas, unbreakable, along with lousy brakes, 110 mph top speed, high center of gravity, &c.

However it prepared my for the next 2 VFR (Interceptor, on that side of the ocean).

And about common sense, we only need that after 40.... (and a morgage, and 2 daughters + Wife, and 2 cars, and so on)
rpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 AM   #93
xlr8r
Founding Member

If you want a shaftie, it's got to be a BMW. Simple. The R850R, R1100R and R1150 R all fit your criteria, all get 50+ mpg, all comute and tour, all do hard bags, are supremely comfortable and will see off most things on four wheels without even chagning down. Why has nobody mentioned these? Or, if it has to be brand new, and you don't mind a belt instead of a shaft, look at the new F800 series. All the above virtues and even more mpg - 60+ on a good day.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:07 AM   #94
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

What's the big deal about horsepower? You want a Hayabusa to be slow? Use 1/4 throttle everywhere you go. It's slow. Easy. At least you can make it go faster if you want, unlike a 40 hp bike, which will always be slow. It's like people that say they never would have a radio on their bike. My Glide doesn't have one every time I turn it off. But I get to turn it on if I want, and they can't. Just because a bike has 150hp doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. But it sure is nice to have when you want to use it.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:11 AM   #95
staff
Registered Member

Default Why not a chain? Or a belt?

Don't get too hung up over shaft drive. If you're riding less than 7,000 miles a year you don't have to worry much about a chain. I never cleaned, lubed or adjusted mine (OK, maybe five or six times) and it lasted 17,000 miles.

Or, you could get a Buell; the belt on them never needs adjustment and has a 100,000 mile replacement interval. I guarantee you'll have trouble with a shaft drive before 100,000 miles are up!

Did you consider the BMW R1150R? That's a pretty basic ride that will meet your criteria as well. If the $10,500 MSRP is too much, there's the F650CS, also with a belt, for much less.

-Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 AM   #96
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT report the True Cost of Gas

Not necessarily, I'm just pointing-out that there are other costs to rail besides the direct shipping-charges.

To handle more than one or two cars, you have to have your own spur - at roughly $100k per 1/4-mile of track, that is a BIG up-front cost - before you ever receive your first car (not to mention the cost of the LAND you have to obtain before you can set the track.........). With most bulk-users (such as a large feed mill) having a 4-7 mile-long spur, it adds up quickly.

If somebody has already absorbed the up-front costs - great, good for them. But how are you going to distribute from your rail-terminal to each of your locations (assuming that you're not the end-user at the terminal location)?

Heavy Trucks.

Who's going to unload the boxcars, and then warehouse your goods, then break them up and re-load them on a truck for distribution? That stuff doesn't move itself around.

Not to mention this takes TIME to process this stuff.

As much as I detest Mal~Wart, I have to admit they certainly have a handle on cross-docking operations, and Just-In-Time warehousing and distribution operations. Their biggest reason for their success is this, and this alone - let your supplier be your warehouse, and send your order of 10,000,000 left-handed widgets to you one bite at a time.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:41 AM   #97
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: WeeStrom 650 is EXACTLY That bike...

All shaft drive buys you is not having to lube the chain every 500 miles. If it is such a chore, however, just spend the $200 and get a ScottOiler, and it might as well be shaft driven for all the maintinence hastles

(Replacing a chain twice over 60k miles is cheaper than a spline lube).

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:03 AM   #98
maladg
Registered Member

Late production run 1978 Honda CX-500! Late yr production means no annoyingly dodgy cam chain adjuster.

Add a nice, heavy chrome luggage rack & bolt on a sweet, stolen milk crate and yer home free after you add that handlebar mount windshield, 'natch.

Claim the cloak and pen of Joe Glydon!

Now that I've made my snarky comment for the day, on a more serious note: Yo, familydad...don't overlook chain driven bikes. You know, chains last a lot longer than they did during that heyday of practical UJM's (70's) with no need for long sessions with Gunk/kerosene and a brush due to O-rings that work and ability to "lube" chain exterior with WD or similar. Family Dads usually get a lot of "honey do's", so changing chain & sprockets once every 4-6 years really should not be a burden. Oh, you think shafts are maint free? Splines. They have to be lubed. And shafties have 'em in the hub & driveshaft - at least one set on each end. Must be cleaned and lubed with the right stuff. (here is your chance to learn a new word - mung) Think I exaggerate? Go ahead, buy a shaftie, assume maint free and let us all know how that works for you...

A nice used low miles Nighthawk/CB750 sound right for you to me. Took me 30 sec to find a '99 model with 3700 miles for $3900. And $3900 is really too much.

Finally (!) allow me to comment upon the assertion about how much power is "needed". From the great Heinlein: "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #99
familydad
Registered Member

maladg agreed with most of your comments. Appreciate the insight....

I must be part monk!
familydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #100
maladg
Registered Member

I'm ok with that. After all, Monks in Belgium & France gave us those wonderful Dubbel and Tripel Ales. (Hopmeisters - feel free to jump in here and provide appropriate corrections).

Even Monks can party.....can I interest anyone in a nice cold Duvel or a sweet Saison like Dupont???
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote