Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Lemmings...

I guess that Burgman is a Honda dealer. Who else sells an 800? Must be quite a few gathering dust on the showroom floor.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
bod
Founding Member

I like my motorcycles like i like my women fast and loose....It is sad but I support graduated licenses based on experience..I understand this is totally unamerican because we should have the right to kill ourselves without government involvement but I still think it isnt the worst Idea. The sad part is this problem is as rampant in the cruiser/hardley crowd and anyway why else would Hardley be making larger faster machines to replace the old slow ones if there wasnt a demand for such a product. The saw that the japs made a killing on the behemoth market and they want an equal slice of that pie.
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Andonyx
Registered Member

I go back and forth on that too. Instinctually I embrace the Libertarian ideal on that, but I also wonder if it doesn't ignore a lot of practical realities.

I just got my first really powerful bike (for a cruiser guy anyway) And in a month I still haven't pegged the throttle or the rev limiter, or scraped a peg, and I've been riding for 7 years. I'm not going to do those things until I'm supremely confident in my skill set on THAT bike. And while I pity the dealers who have to balance the desire to do business with the obvious need to protect some idiots even from themselves, I remember last year when it seemed like every single day some idiot dumped his brand new R1 within a mile of the dealership because he didn't know how to ride it or understand about new tires.

(Nothing against the R1, but I have two riding buddies and one has an R1, and we all commented how every single video on the video web-sites, and every anecdote, and newspaper article last summer seemed to feature idiots wrecking on their new R1 often IN THE DEALER LOT.)

So I'm tempted to pack alunch and spend the day on the lawn across from our big dealership in Chicago with my buddies and a video camera and just watch people wad their new super-bikes.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
bod
Founding Member

Good point about the dealers shouldn't they have some responsiblity in this. If they sell a bike like an R1 to some 19 year old punk should they be responsible to make sure he can actually ride it. This is a slippery slope. The reality is that these decisions are made about money not responsibility and in a capitalist society money talks. At 19 if I had went to buy a bike and was told I couldnt because i didnt have the skill I would have gone mad. Instead at 19 I had to buy used and cheap do to money and it probably saved my life or at least some severe road rash. If you do get a good video I would like to see it I find those crash videos quite entertaining sad but funny to.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
iamz
Founding Member

"And he ended up crashing before he even left the parking lot,"

Well, that settles it. I laughed when I read this. Clearly, I am a complete ass. I do hope he was'nt injured more than just his pride though.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

That's the problem with theoretical ideas vs practial application. In a perfect world the sellers of products might have a responsibility to be careful who they sell products to. However in the real world any attempt to hold dealers responsible for these things would simply result in the motorcycle industry being sued out of business altogether.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
iamz
Founding Member

And if a dealer actually tried to hold out and NOT sell a bike to a licensed driver/rider, he would have a lawsuit slapped on him faster than a Hayabusa can hit 180. And the dealer would lose. Best he can do is try and talk them into buying a safer bike. After that it's up to the customer, not the dealer, what he rides away on.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
bod
Founding Member

THAT WAS FUNNY
Old 09-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"And if a dealer actually tried to hold out and NOT sell a bike to a licensed driver/rider, he would have a lawsuit slapped on him faster than a Hayabusa can hit 180. And the dealer would lose."

Absolutely untrue. They could sue him, but they won't win. Not a chance in hell. Any private business owner has the legal right to refuse service to anyone, at any time, they see fit. I don't know how things work up there in OZ, but the rest of the country has that right.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

Should be a simple solution to this but no one agrees on any one idea or theory. If you come into a bike shop and do not hold a motorcycle endorsement then you should be allow to own high performance motorcycles. Propblem is, who gets to make the call on what is and isn't high-performance? Insurance companies can't even get together on this one. If we could set a benchmark on HP rating or weight or a combination of both it would help. But no matter what happens someone will be p*ssed and argue this. We are left in a situation were we can let Darwinism work this out or we proceed and let our Imperial Federal Gov't help. Either way it hurts the rest of us rational, level-headed, non-squid riders.