Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #11
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: More Charity Stuff.

He's right. If I remember correctly, the people protesting funerals are the Westboro Baptist Church. It's one idiot, Fred Phelps, from Topeka and a church composed of his family. His schtick is "God hates fags", "Thank God for 9/11", etc. He's pretty much universally loathed. Again, if memory serves, this protection was composed specifically to keep WBC away from the funerals, although DefenseLink is too starchy to say so.

Phelps is also a registered Democrat {adds gasoline to flamewar}. That of course is irrelevant, the only point is that he's just a farktard, not a Christian or Democrat, and shouldn't reflect badly on anyone except himself (not that it wont stop Professor Facts and Data with his shopworn Fox News "joke").
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #12
Gluge
Registered Member

hah just so you know moveon doesn't support protesting at funerals

I'm not for the war but I believe the troops deserve thanks just the same. I believe you can be against the war but for the troops.

protesting at a funeral is pretty messed up no mater who is doing it.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #13
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

It ran on CNN and some other networks for a while. I'm surprised you didn't see it. They have a court case, where they claim they have the right of assembly, and can what they want. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten to the Supreme Court yet. I suppose, in the larger picture, it's possible that these idiots will have the stronger case. Like the Neonazis that get a permit to march in a jewish neighborhood, or something. I'm not sure where your draw the line. The gaurdians (Im pretty sure that was their name; I'm assuming it's the same group) took upon themselves the task of getting between the protestors and making enough noise to drown out the protesters, if necessary. I don't think any True Christian could possibly object to that.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
bigdx
Founding Member

A dumbocrat that is a bigot? No, come on. Surely you are wrong.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:48 AM   #15
V2Rider
Premium Member

A friend of mine rides with the Patriot Guard. They go to the funerals of our fallen soldiers to keep the families from having to deal with this Phelps a#@h#le. They place themselves between this whack job and his fellow band of lunatics and the families of the fallen soldier.

Phelps runs a church that believes that because the US is liberalizing its view on gays that we are heathens and that God is punishing us by killing our soldiers. No politics here, just plain hate.

Where are Jake and Elwood when you need them?

Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

One thing I might add, that nobody has pointed-out yet. I'm a member of the PGR, and our job is NOT to be a counter-protest group, NOT to "fight" or confront the Uglies - we are a Human Shield - so the families of the fallen do not have to see or hear the protesters. We are there at the Express Invitation of the Families.

Our job is to show Respect to the fallen and their families, and to show them that America cares for their loss.

Just wanted to clarify that for those who may not realize that the Patriot Guard Riders is NOT a protest/activist group.

For more information, see: http://patriotguard.org/

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Are protestors showing up in large enough numbers for this to be ab issue?

If they are, perhaps you should scrap that "non-violent means" stuff. A good beat down might keep the protestor types from ruining anymore funerals.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #18
Gluge
Registered Member

Actualy if anything they are right wing not left. Taken from their site - "They are second in evil only to the modern day Saduccees (i.e., bleeding heart liberals)."

(just trying to move some wrongly placed fuel away from the fire)
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Absolutely. This sort of insanity isn't limited to any particular political, religious or social group.

In a nation of 275 million you're going to find plenty of loonies.

For that matter 90% of people think that all motorcyclists are loonies and they may be right. I'd rather be a loony than a drone staring at a TV set.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #20
Gluge
Registered Member

"Imagine if a bunch of neo-cons were at a funeral of a gay guy who died of AIDS doing something like this."

Isn't that exactly what this was? well except this wasn't an AIDS death (the same people of course picket those as well)

I wonder if there is a group that tries to block them at AIDS death pickets?
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio