Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #21
commsoft
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters?

How 'bout the MP3? Looks like the scooter to end all...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyosse...P3/index.motml

commsoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #22
squidwardo
Founding Member

There is a company, Genuine Scooter Company. They offer a number of different models, one of which, the Stella, looks a lot like a Vespa. If you are buying new, you are looking at something between $1500.00 and $2K. I would certainly recommend purchasing something that will not cause problems if it needs parts or needs to be repaired.

I would also recommend against a 2 stroke. They have no problems with reliability, however they will require you daughter to remember to keep the oil tank full. If you purchase her a 4 stroke machine, all she really has to worry about is fuel. You can help her with maintenance, but on a daily basis, they are relatively bulletproof.

I had a Honda 125 Elite when I was in college and with my first job. It was the ultimate urban machine. About $4.00 in gas got me through two weeks. It would haul enough to allow for grocery store visits, grab lunch, or haul a friend. I never had to pay for parking, never got stuck in traffic, and it never left me stranded.

I would agree that your strongly urge your daughter to attend an MSF course. The only problem with scooters is they seem like toys, and often riders don't take them seriously. It can get her hurt just as easily as a ZX-14, just at a lower terminal velocity.

Good luck.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #23
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

The original post got me to thinking and searching. Here in Nashville, you don't really NEED to take freeways to get anywhere, and I don't. On my trips to work, church, school, and the grocery, drug, and video stores, there isn't a road with a posted limit of more than 40 mph. Most traffic runs 30-35, realistically. so a 35mph top-end is really reasonable, I think.

Some say, the little 50cc machines are too small. I say they're unintimidating, lightweight enough for even the smallest of rider to handle, get the best fuel economy, and cost the least to buy, maintain, and insure.

I just saw that Yamaha has a brand new machine here for '07. Called the C3, it looks kind of like one of those classic ice-cream scooters. do you mean to tell me that for 2 grand I can get reliable Japanese tranportation and carry all my books, along with maybe a few grocery bags and a six of beer? Sweet. I now officially want one. It would about triple the milage of my DR650 dual-purpose bike.

I agree with the previous posters about the MSF safety class. Also, a good, FULL-FACE helmet (consider Arai and Shoei) is a no-brainer. And...rain gear for the not-quite-sunny days. I'd get another set of Frogg Toggs in a heartbeat. About 60 bucks.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:16 AM   #24
acecycleins
Founding Member

ANY scooter you choose to get around a college campus or the surrounding area is fine. Stay away from "newer" Vespa, Aprilia or Piaggio products. They're built well but right now the parts supply for dealers is BAD. It could take weeks for you to get a simple service done. Look at the standard Asian scoots. The Honda Rukus is built rock solid. The Yamaha C3 is new but kind of reminds people of a Cushman (remember those) Is has a 9 gal. storage area under the seat. There are some sweet deals out there on Scooters right now. Check out sites like twistnscoot.com for ideas. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:17 AM   #25
sliphorn
Registered Member

The Stella, built by LML of India in the old Piaggio plant is no more. LML is on indefinite lockout. Too bad cuz the Stella is essentially an upgraded new 1978 Vespa PX150E built on the original Piaggio tooling. I have one and they're great, all metal body and 4 speed twist shift transmission. The good thing is that there is 30+ years of aftermarket goodies available for them so parts are not a problem.

Please don't forget the two major Taiwanese scooter makers who build some of the finest scooters in the world; Kymco and PGO. PGO scooters are now distributed through Genuine Scooter Company of Chicago under Various names like the Buddy, Blur, Black Cat etc....Both brands have excellent dealer networks and parts availability.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #26
sliphorn
Registered Member

Squidwardo, I disagree with you about 2T vs 4T scooters. Occasionally topping off an oil tank with 2T oil is easier than keeping an eye on, topping off, or changing the oil in a 4T scooter, especially for your average college girlie girl. A 50cc 2T scooter for a college campus scenario is ideal. Lift the seat, pop the lid and top it off. Most 2T scooter oil tanks hold a full quart of oil which is good for roughly a 1000 miles. And they all have idiot lights to remind you.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #27
wolfpack_fan
Registered Member

Default Re: Make $10 Easy!

Here you go:

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stori...anscript.gore/

Search for "creating the Internet"

I'd say that fits into the category of "even anything like that"...Now, where's my $10?

wolfpack_fan is offline   Reply With Quote