Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-08-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
morriscm
Registered Member

Default Re: Make Your Second Car/Bike a Scooter!

If it's got 2 wheels and a motor, It's likely to be fun. Never had a scooter - but who knows...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
ejis
Founding Member

Will guys on UJM's wave to me if I'm riding a scooter?
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
morriscm
Registered Member

I've tried waving to folks on scooters a few times, but I think it scared them. They don't tend to think of themselves as fellow motorcycle riders.

On the other hand, if one of them ever waved at me I'd return it (if I could get over the shock
Old 09-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
nweaver
Founding Member

Unfortunatly, most scooters who are freeway friendly don't get much better mileage than a WeeStrom.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
mikenomad
Founding Member

When you're toodling along on your scooter, be sure to wave strenuously at 1-percenters. It gives them heartburn.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Loki22302
Founding Member

A Vespa GTS250 in red is the cat's ass. Just don't let your friends see you riding one.

peace
Loki22302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
SEADOG7624
Founding Member

There are a whole bunch of folks out there who believe a "scooter" is a 50cc Vespa or equivalen. In truth, however, we have some delightful "maxi-scooters" in the marketplace with motors up to 638cc that will run well with traditional motorcycles.

My Aprilia Atlantic gets 58-62 MPG, is no slouch at the stoplight, will do 100 MPH, and is a superbly comfortable machine for this 70+ year old guy (whose most favorite MC was a Moto Guzzi 850-T3 (California Highway Patrol version).

As the American public become more aware of scooters and the price of gasoline, scooter sales are bound to increase. It would seem to me, therefore, that MO should start to talk about scooters as legimate two-wheelers, right up there with motorcycles. 150 HP crotch rockets are great, but there is another generation out here that could be interested in something more sedate, easier to climb onto, and more reasonably priced.

My bottom line to MO is to integrate some scooter stuff along the way on account of how this is where it is at these days. (apoligies for the lousy english).

SEADOG7624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
anrajala
Founding Member

I second to that one. Scooters are cool and absolute hoot to ride also. Furthermore, you get more tart on a scooter than a on a bike, if you know what I mean. Try casually asking a chica if she would like a little run around on a 200cc Vespa. Next thing you know you deeply regret of not having had a shower for a week. Been there done that.

There was a wonderful, absolutely wonderful classic scooter photo article few months back. More scooter stuff pliiz! How about a retro style 175 - 350 cc comparo???

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
sliphorn
Registered Member

Yep, scooters are way cool! I've got a kitted to the max Stella and love it. Mine is sort of a hooligan scoot and wheelies on demand. An absolute blast to ride.

I'm glad Yosseff Schvetz writes for MO, as he is a dedicated lover of all things two (and three) wheeled. I do believe he even owns a PX200.

A bit more scooter content would be a nice thing here at MO.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
agrantz
Registered Member

This may solve a serious problem that I seem to almost always have - getting stuck behind rude Harley riders while lane splitting. Unlike riders of other brands, these people will rarely move over to let you go by. Flashing my lights and honking my horn have little effect (yeah, I know - loud pipes and tiny mirrors). Maybe a scooter coming up behind will shame them into pulling over.
agrantz is offline   Reply With Quote