Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #51
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Janklow from South Dakota

If you are holding yourself up as a model free thinking, I'm with the ****fobrains bunch. Every day, all the time.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Do you know who he's ranting at? I'm not particularly fond of that idiot Bush. It's so weird to be called a Bush lover when you've never expressed anything but disgust for him. Maybe it's because I don't think he's nearly as bad as Hitler. I guess you gotta join the "Bush is the anti-Christ and he and Cheney took down the Twin Towers" Fruitcake Squad or else you love him. No middle ground aloud.

I notice that your Dem ex-gov Ryan just got 6 1/2 years for accepting bribes. A corrupt politician! Whodaeverthunkit?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #53
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Ryan was a Republican! You would think with all the corrupt Dems they could nab a few? Actually they have recently. King Daley has the Feds on his back and they already convicted a couple of his top guys. Nothing special though. Just ghost payrolling, hired trucking scandals and patronage hiring. You know, honest Democratic Chicago politics!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #54
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Billy Lane Involved in Fatal Motorcycle Crash

Yes, but wouldn't you still rather crash off the side of the road, instead of crashing head-on into a truck?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #55
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Bad Things

I do indeed feel terrible for both parties. I don't think they came out even, or that Lane has it a bad as his victim, but I've seen guys die on several different occassions. When it is an accident and another party is involved, it invariably ruins two lives. I in no way condone drunk driving and in no way excuse Billy Lane. However, he's a human being who is probably suffering right now (even if he deserves to suffer) so I feel bad for him in a "that poor bastard" kind of way.

I'm not passing judgment or generating excuses, I'm merely stating my understanding of the pain that Lane is experiencing right now. If I made a hair-brained pass while riding (sober) and it caused a car to run off the road and kill someone, I'd feel bad for the victim, yet I'd also feel bad for myself. It's misery time. I'd also know that I brought that misery on myself and it'd be time to take it like a man. However, it still wouldn't make me feel anything but pain for both sides of the equation.

It is a two-way street. I still feel good for the lottery winner that cashes the winning ticket, even if they found the ticket in the gutter, never bought a ticket in their lives and didn't "deserve" to win. Likewise, if someone was stupid enough to get addicted to drugs, I'd feel terrible for them. Wouldn't you feel bad for someone who was experiencing a massive tragedy? (even if it was their fault?)

If (in some crazy universe) I was forced to feel for only one party, then no doubt I'd feel for the dead motorcyclist. However, I live in the real world where things aren't black&white, so I can feel terrible about all human suffering, regardless of fault.

-Sean
Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #56
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

That's where fear is your enemy. You have to make yourself do what's going to hurt, and a two second hesitation can cost you your life.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #57
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

You work for the government, don't you? I'm now looking at a report on the safety of nuclear plants that is entitled "Protection against Sabotage of Nuclear Facilities: Using Morphological Analysis in Revising the Design Basis Threat". In another section it talks about "Expanding Threat Vectors" or some such thing. I think it's about bad guys blowing stuff up, and they're against it., but I'm not completely sure.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #58
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

If Ma is anything like Ca, and it probably is, 50K will let you live in poverty within reasonable commuting distance, or get a place an hour or so from your work that you can afford. Here in Napa, the average, ordinary, pedestrian 1500 sq. ft. tract house costs somewhere in the neighborhood of 500k. We're actually a little cheaper than places closer to San Francisco. I don't know what the toll booth operators get here in the bay area, but I'll bet they commute from cheaper areas. I wonder if that had anything to do with his riding a scooter?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #59
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

While going home is certainly better than being dead, I think Mr Lane's problems are only just beginning.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #60
squidwardo
Founding Member

Default Re: Bad Things

My only hope in situations like this is that the person who caused all of this actually learns a lesson from all of this.

I am confident Mr. Lane is feeling poorly right now, but my fear is that he is only feeling badly for himself because he is in trouble. If he can get out of harms way himself, the question is did he actually learn anything, or will he find some way to turn it around so it is not his fault.

No way to really know, because it is all about how a person internalizes events like this. He took someone's life, and I just hope he realizes that the real tragedy is that fact, and not the fact he just put a hurting on his lifestyle.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote