Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Billy Lane Involved in Fatal Motorcycle Crash (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3877-billy-lane-involved-fatal-motorcycle-crash.html)

SRMark 09-06-2006 10:18 AM

Re: Billy Lane Involved in Fatal Motorcycle Crash

He crosses a double line, hits and kills someone and they can't find anything to charge him with? What am I missing here? Can't they add DWI to the previous charges or do they need to put all of the charges into a neat little pile first?

BillyO 09-06-2006 10:19 AM

In Ma. they get a commission on top of salary.

squidwardo 09-06-2006 10:28 AM

No, I understand you point, and I have never ridden a bike in Florida. It's just that around here, there is no safe runoff. If you go off road, you are going to crash. I can certainly see how a rider might try hard to stay as far right as possible and slow down. problem is, depending on what he was riding, some cruisers are wide enough to take up half a freaking lane, so no matter how far to the right you try to get, there still is not enough room. I don't know, I have had cars cross the double yellow on me before, and it is scary as sh*t.

bikervince 09-06-2006 10:46 AM

Or use the excuse that the pipes on the motorcycle weren't sufficiently loud enough.

Dangerousdave_2 09-06-2006 11:08 AM

Pretty sharp investigative journalism, no? I've only been in Florida a few times, but I seem to recall oversized ditches flanking a lot of the roads there, and nothing much resembling a shoulder. It's possible that the rider was put into one of those impossible situations I was talking about in another thread. Even if there was room for two vehicles and a motorcycle to pass, that doesn't mean that the guy in the pickup didn't use all of that too.

seruzawa 09-06-2006 11:14 AM

Re: Janklow from South Dakota

Good idea. Then he'd have a couple of free rapes on top of a DUI/murder.

Or he could just tell the victim to put ice on it. That seems to work.

electraglider_1997 09-06-2006 11:39 AM

Re: Janklow from South Dakota

Or he could get the White House spinmiesters to claim it never really even happened on Fox News and then make sure that Rush and Hannity and the rest of the ****forbrain'sgang repeated the misinformation until our heads are ready to implode. Seems to work for them. They got you ****forbrains believing all their crapola.

TomSmith 09-06-2006 11:46 AM

I don't see too many choppers in road races or at "track days".

DerkT 09-06-2006 11:47 AM

Sean, did you also "feel terrible" for Janklow after he broke two traffic laws and killed Randy Scott? I know I and many others in our riding world didn't. Janklow should have been charged with negligent homicide - as should Lane.

While I agree that I would have done anything possible to avoid a head on with a truck it was not Mr. Gerry Morelock's fault! If Lane is found to have been intoxicated at the time then the death of Mr. Morelock is the result of not a simple accident. It was caused by criminal acts. Your comment reminds me of the guy who blames the attractive young woman who is raped. You can hear him saying, "She deserved it for dressing that way." I expected more from you, Sean. This is a tragic death that is at least the result of an illegal pass.

ItÂ’s awful that this happened for Lane but itÂ’s terrible that a person is DEAD because of his irresponsible acts.

When we (motorcyclists and sane thinking people) stop allowing this almost accepted form of killing then we can maybe get rid of the excuse so often heard after an actual "accident" of, "I didn't see him"!

Derrick

DerkT 09-06-2006 12:00 PM

Re: LESSON TO BE LEARNED FROM THIS

While DC_Dave's reply was a giggle your understated dose of reality is right on! Nice job mike.

Derrick