Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #31
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Billy Lane Involved in Fatal Motorcycle Crash

squidwardo says: "How much could he do? If it is like the two laners around here, you don't have much wiggle room if someone decides they want your lane. Most of the roads are 55MPH, so if Lane was trying to pass, he was going faster than that speed. If we have run off, it is gravel, but most roads just become grass and garbage. The only hope you have is to get slowed down in time, but for evasive maneuvers, there is no where to go."

It wouldn't matter if the road was bordered by a salt pit lined with razor wire. Choosing to hit the oncoming vehicle head-on, instead of squeezing as far right as possible is almost impossible to rationalize. I'll take 10,000 salty cuts over being pulverized head-on in a heartbeat.

It is stated that Lane attempted to get back into the proper lane before the impact. If he had time to attempt a lane correction, the oncoming vehicle would also have had time to make an attempt in the oposite direction.

This tell us than one of two things happened. One: The closing speed was so high that the impact happened within two seconds of the appearance of opposing traffic (highly unlikely in FL, due to the open/unobstructed nature of FL roads). Anything longer than two seconds and the motorcycle should have been on or past the white line at the edge of the road. -or- Two: They were drunk enough to have very slow reaction times.

Either way it's a damned shame and I feel terrible for both parties.

-Sean

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #32
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

It was a scooter. You can see it laying in the bed of Lane's truck.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:42 AM   #33
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Default Re: LESSON TO BE LEARNED FROM THIS

Lighten up, Francis.

I know what you're thinking, "did he use 6 gears or only 5?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a ZXS-1600, the most powerful motorcycle in the world, and could blow your RV clean off the road, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Seriously, Francis, my Kawazumaha will pass your lumbering tractor on the double yellow faster than I can even think it. You think I'm not going to stretch the throttle cables when I'm looking at the oversized backside of your Harlabego?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #34
Fenton
Founding Member

How about a scooter?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #35
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

My father in law is 90 years old and just got a ticket for driving to slow (in a 1957 Mercedes 220s that's about 5 mph btw).

See, he's legally blind but the DMV keeps sending him a good license every few years.

We hid his keys so he hotwired it. Next we're stuffing dog poop down the carbs, lets see him fix that.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #36
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That's "too slow". Where's the MO spellchecker?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #37
Fenton
Founding Member

I was at a light yesterday next to a little old lady, maybe 85. She dropped me at the light in her ford fiesta then proceeded to use both lanes til my exit a mile later. I thought, wtf am I doing riding a motorcycle with people like that on the road.

Spooky stuff.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #38
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: LESSON TO BE LEARNED FROM THIS

People who go looking for trouble are sure to find it.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #39
BillyO
Registered Member

If Ol` Billy were a politician he would only get

community service suspended on condition of good behavior.

BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #40
bikervince
Founding Member

Recently a local news station did a report on the Mass. Turnpike Authority, reporting the salaries of everyone. All the full-time toll-collectors made over $50K/year.
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote