Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Traffic Lights! Ugh! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3822-traffic-lights-ugh.html)

Sebretian 08-10-2006 11:51 AM

Re: Traffic lights! ARG

Read on a BMW bike site where the guy put a big magnet on his oil filter to help catch metal filings. The filter happens to be on the bottom of the bike on a BMW. He said it also tripped the sensor for traffic lights. Haven't tried it myself but might because I have the same problem as you.

conchscooter 08-10-2006 11:56 AM

When I lived in California I tried three things at unresponsive lights. First I tried rolling down the marks in the road that show the sensor wires. they sense limps of metal in motion and they rarely notice motorcycles even dead overhead. the second thing i tried was to roll back an dforth over the sport where several wires come together, at the corner of the "box" laid out in the asphalt. That works sometimes. the third thing i'd do is

lean over to the traffic pole and press the pedestrian crossing button in my direction of travel. not always possible from the seat of the motorcycle. the last possibility is to look for sensors for bicycles in the bike path. they do work. good luck

demanufacture 08-10-2006 12:17 PM

Here's what I do in this situation: Get in the right-most lane, turn right, then flip a ***** and go straight through the green light.

BillyO 08-10-2006 12:25 PM

Yuh mean that I`m supposed to stop at those

lights when they are red ?

cls 08-10-2006 12:41 PM

Flash you high-beams on and off. That works on many of them.

priday 08-10-2006 12:43 PM

Optical (video) VS. Magnetic

In my town (Corpus Christi, TX) they have gone almost exclusively to optical sensors. They look like little cameras on top of the lights. I've seen ads for little reflective patches that are supposed to make you more visible to the sensors....

From what I understand, they are cheaper than the magnetic kind, and are the way most municipalities will be going in the future.

I haven't had a problem with them seeing me, but I think that's because of my Fat A$$!

Rob

SV650GLEN 08-10-2006 12:56 PM

Re: Optical (video) VS. Magnetic

I'm from California and have never heard of optical sensors to control signal lights for cars. I do know CA has sensors on the light poles to pick up the strobe lights of emergency vehicles to change the lights green for the vehicle.

seruzawa 08-10-2006 01:08 PM

Check local laws. Many places allow you to go through the light under those conditions. I doubt that if worst came to worst and you got a ticket that a judge would require you to sit at a signal until you died of thirst.

Sounds like a Darwin thing.

seruzawa 08-10-2006 01:09 PM

Utah is using motion detectors now. They work pretty well. The intersection sensors near my house always pick me up when I'm on my bike.

34P 08-10-2006 01:14 PM

I live in California and I put a couple of "rare earth" magnets on the bottom of my frame. That seems to solve the problem except where they have repaved the intersection (a very rare thing in California these days) and left the wires where they were originally (under a bunch more asphalt). In those cases I just wait until there is a break in the traffic and then go for it. Left turns can be interesting at times. I think JC Whitney carries the magnets. They arn't cheap, but they seem to work.