Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #31
ochsnera
Founding Member

Default Re: Traffic Lights! Ugh!

In South Dakota I've personally went through a notorious light after a cycle or two in font of the law. No one was coming and a few seconds later he waived at me and I waived back as he passed.

It's far from saying it's legal but I would doubt many officers or judges would nail you for it. What do they expect you to do if the light burned out or broke? I treat it the same way.
ochsnera is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #32
cls
Registered Member

Default Re: Traffic lights! ARG

I understand it trips some electrical/elctro-magnetic sensor, or something (I'll quickly say more than I know...). I can't explain it, but I've been doing it for years, and it sure seems to work most of the time. I don't try it until after I've been sitting for a bit.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Optical (video) VS. Magnetic

What's an ECOC?...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:30 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Evil Capitalist Oppressors Club. Where you been? Out having a miserable time riding that low hp boring antiquated twin, I'll bet.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:15 AM   #35
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Traffic lights! ARG

Well, there will be an brief, intense magnetic field created when a switch is opened or closed. The more current travelling through the switch, the better, so I suppose this is possible. It may be that the effect is too small to matter under the best of conditions. Where's that physics professor, eh?
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

Yeah, it's so slow and boring I have to ride it all the time to have any fun on it, I've done about 3500 miles on it since June just out screwing around and commuting. Plus I've been pretty busy at work doing scheduling and working with contractors on a new boiler so I don't get as much time to goof off on the computer..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Does working on a new boiler mean drinking lots of beer and eating chicken wings?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:44 AM   #38
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i wait one complete cycle then blow thru it (when traffic permits, of course). if they don't respect motorcycles enough to gear up for them then i will not respect their traffic lights.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:02 AM   #39
orcyclist
Founding Member

1. Red=stop.

2. Wait for light to change (max 30 secs - I have a clock on the fairing)

3. go through light when safe.

Getting offf bike and hitting button? starter? High beams? C'mon. It's just a red light. The poster who said treat it like a non-functioning light is right on. I would tread lightly with magnetic fields near electroinc components .

Stop signs - I go through'em when there is good sight lines and no (that's NO) traffic in sight. Speed limit signs - advisory at best. Oh, by the way I have had no accidents or tickets in 13 years. I ride EVERY day. 32,000 miles last year. I use good judgment and it keeps me out of trouble.

I do wish that lane splitting was legal everywhere. Has anyone here ever heard of a motocyclist getting a ticket for illegal lane splitting? (How would the cops catch them, even at 10 mph lane splitting)?

#1 Rule - Use your brain.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #40
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I run them all the time. In this day and age you'd think that the prox sensors would recognize a motorpickle.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote