Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Traffic Lights! Ugh! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3822-traffic-lights-ugh.html)

Dangerousdave_2 08-10-2006 03:03 PM

Re: Traffic lights! ARG

Doesn't somebody market a device that's supposed to fool the sensor into thinking there's more iron or aluminum sitting on top of it than there actually is?

Nikolas 08-10-2006 03:06 PM

If you stop right within the loop and rev your engine they will change.

They don't sense weight, or metal as some believe. They're inductance loops which convert changing magnetic flux into electrical current. Moving a magnet or constant current over them will trip it, but it has to be moving! Or you can just sit right on top of them and let some AC current from your bikes stator fly! I think the headlight thing many people report as working does so as it increases the load on the electrical system and bumps up the current to the headlight, and its the change which the loop senses.

I'm in California also, and if I can't get the light to trip after three cycles (usually only happens if I can't see the loops), the light is broken, and I proceed as a 4 way stop. Usually a car shows up by then though.

dragcab 08-10-2006 03:53 PM

I just ordered one of those greenlight magnets for my vfr. my valkyrie rarely has a problem with the lights. we'll see how well it works.

paul_from_Minnesota 08-10-2006 04:07 PM

My '78 XS11 used to have a hard time tripping the lights. I added a GreenLightTrigger magnet and son of a gun, it worked. Most of the time. I now proceeed if I know the light missed me. This is Minnesota, and they let us do that. I mean hey, how much of the year is it a problem here anyway...

paul from Minnesota

anx390 08-10-2006 04:08 PM

Guys:

I picked up something on eBay which supposedly sets off ferrous-metal detecting traffic light sensors. It's basically a fairly powerful magnet tie-wrapped to a low part of a down tube to trigger the sensor.

No, I didn't try it yet, but the theory makes sense.

It should be easy to get an Alnico #5 magnet and duct tape it to the bike, down low. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will

egb 08-10-2006 04:12 PM

I tried the "green light" magnet and a big magnet from the hardware store without luck. The one thing that always works for me is to shut off the engine and restart it. The starter turning over creates a magnetic fluctuation that trips the sensor.

Good luck!

G

seruzawa 08-10-2006 04:54 PM

Re: Optical (video) VS. Magnetic

That's pretty rich coming from an ECOC GPTB!

pplassm 08-11-2006 01:46 AM

Just curious. What did you flip that triggered the auto-censor?

LightninRVF750 08-11-2006 02:07 AM

Re: Traffic Lights! Ugh!

Hit the starter, works every time... usually.

articulat_66 08-11-2006 03:02 AM

Re: Traffic Lights! Ugh!

Here in arkansas some of the sensors where they added lights are motion based.