Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 'Blasted Speed Channel!' says reader SuperSquid.

If you think that Speed (or any channel) is going to fill their prime viewing slots with abysmally low watched events like motorcycle racing then you are dreaming.

Maybe start your own channel?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
schizuki
Founding Member

Dude, ESPN shows people playing poker. Why? Because poker players wrote them letters? No, it's because (for some godawful reason too frightening to contemplate) it gets ratings. Networks don't make programming decisions based on impassioned letters, they make decisions based on money. Because they are a business.

Do you go to work in order to entertain others, or do you go to make money?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

For the USGP Speed used the feeds from whoever travels with GP and televises it. That's why it was live.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Why does Speed Channel see fit to go back to treating the motorcycle racing enthusiast as b@st@rd step children?"

Beacuse the motorcycle racing enthusiast is a bast@rd step-child. Get used to it unless you start to bring in N-ASS-CAR ratings and cash.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:58 AM   #5
apage
Founding Member

Agreed on ESPN showing poker and such. Its all about viewership. You've seen a rise in dart championships on ESPN and now dominos for God's sake. I'm sure next year they'll have live coverage of the rock, paper, scissors tournament...

As motorcycle racing fans, we just have to take what we can get and be happy they show ANY form of two wheeled sport at all. Same day delayed or month after delayed as it were.
apage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
bikejunkie
Registered Member

I see a lot of the replies to SuperSquid's post seem to dismiss the problem as simple "ratings economics."

But there is definitely a "chicken and egg" element to viewership. I.e., which comes first, the audience or the station's commitment to building an audience?

Even the best network shows crash and burn when dumped into a bad time slot or left without promotional support.

For years, one of the best shows on Speed was the World

Rally Championship. But a constantly-changing late night time slot, zero promotion and near xenophobic reluctance to cover something so spectacularly "unamerican" (the races are held virtually everywhere except North America) guaranteed poor viewership. (After a few years of religious viewership, I gave up trying to find the show in Speed's ever-changing shedule.)

Historically, there are numerous examples of viewer write-in campaings that pushed networks to do the right thing.

One of the best-known examples is Star Trek. The original TV series earned a small but devoted following. When the network pulled the plug, they were flooded with letters from fans. The show returned for another season and eventually became a huge hit, spawning movies and countless other "generations" of TV series.

The bottom line: yes, TV is all about ratings; but ratings are a function not just of show quality or viewer/advertiser support, they are also a function of network commitment and vision, which vocal viewers can and do influence.

So don't be shy, tell Speed what you want. Chicken or egg, if enough viewers are vocal, they will eventually listen.
bikejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
johnnyb
Founding Member

whoa whoa bikejunkie! careful not to upset MO paranoiac purple person vibe...

Sure they pay attention to reader letters, in fact Dave deSpain is a huge bike guy. I am sure the more ammo he has to show people at Speed, the better the chances are of more bike racing.

MOTORCYCLIST mag yanked their entire reader forum after one guy started abusing Boehm. It was gone for years, just recently it is Baaaadck...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
schizuki
Founding Member

"The show returned for another season and eventually became a huge hit"

Huh? It had a three-year run. It was never a huge hit. That's why it only lasted three years.

The franchise didn't get going until ten years later. The second series did OK enough for a five-year run, the space-station spin-off performed decently enough, the Voyager series limped along, and the latest crashed and burned. The franchise was a financial success primarily because of merchandising and multimedia (movies and home video). On ratings alone, it was never very strong. Motorcycle racing does not have that kind of merchandising and multimedia potential.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"MOTORCYCLIST mag yanked their entire reader forum after one guy started abusing Boehm."

So how much abuse did you heap upon him until they pulled it? Did a sic your boy KPaul on his ass?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
schizuki
Founding Member

"Historically, there are numerous examples of viewer write-in campaings that pushed networks to do the right thing. "

Offhand, I can't think of any. The conventional wisdom is that letter-writing campaigns have no effect.

But hey, go ahead and write. Even better, though, is to preach. When ABC showed the MotoGP race, I went to the local sports bar and asked them to put it on one of the screens. I chatted with some of the other patrons about the racers, the speeds, etc. Played up the whole Rossi-vs-the-American-upstart angle. They dug it.