Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
03zx12r
Registered Member

Default Re: Helmet to Helmet Communication?

I paid $400.00 to find out that chatterbox sucks. I returned them both - I do not recommend this product. I have read reviews - none of which were positive. I am embarresed that it took $400.00 of my hard earned money to learn that it sucks. I have no good recommendations to give - Sorry.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
rwven
Registered Member

I use the basic Chatterbox wired unit. I bought one in April for $115.00 with two full face helmet units and an extention cord. It does what it is supposed to do. Has a cell phone and an aux. jack also. As the previous poster said, stay away from the more expensive wireless units, I've also not heard much good said about them.
rwven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
lefty337
Founding Member

Never tested this but it looks like a cool product. I think you have to buy a separate radio for it though. If anyone has any reviews for this product, I'd love to know about it.

www.starcom1.com
lefty337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
aciurczak
Registered Member

If all you want is communication from one helmet to another, seated on the same bike, the cheapest solution is the chatterbox HJC-50 plus 2 headsets, a total of about $130. While the chatterbox radios blow, the simple wired systems actually work quite well. They are not voice-activated, basically they are just always on. The unit acts as a small amplifier, connecting the microphones in both headsets to the speakers in both headsets. For best results, use earplugs and turn the volume way up on the units; this blocks almost all wind noise and communication works right up to highway speeds. The HJC-50 has a rechargeable battery, but tends to last a full day of riding before needing a recharge.

http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/hjc50.htm

For some higher quality equipment, look into the Autocom products. I've got their Active-Plus model on my RT and it works incredibly well, at higher speeds and with better sound quality than the chatterbox units. It also can plug into bike power, and the unit itself can be mounted somewhere on the bike (mine is under the seat, with the two headset jacks peeking out the side). Autocoms have some pretty neat features that allow you to link in music, radar, gps, and even cell phone. When you start to speak, it lowers the volume on everything else so you can talk easily; when radar goes off it lowers everything else immediately, things like that. It's pricier, but not as bad as people seem to think. The full system goes for $300 including 1 headset; an additional headset is $75.

http://www.autocomamerica.com/active_plus.cfm
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
SmokeU
Registered Member

I use a J&M Audio Pack on my Concours with an integrated CB. It works rather well. I plumbed in an XM Radio too. Volume controls and PTT within reach of my left thumb.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You better hope your wife doesn't read this thread and figure out how you cheaped out on her wedding ring!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

We have a simple system. One slap on the back of my helmet means to look where she's pointing. Two slaps means stop as soon as possible. A punch between the shoulderblades means stop now.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
RevZoom
Registered Member

Great advice. Oh here she comes now. "Hi honey," he says, sheepishly, "I was just looking for some exotic locations where we might celebrate our upcoming anniversary. Don't peek." Whew. That was close.
RevZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
RevZoom
Registered Member

Ah yes. We must have taken the same MO Communications Class. Only problem is, my shoulders are all bruised up. "Ouch!" there's another message coming in. Gotta run.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
RevZoom
Registered Member

Useful info. Thanks. (I failed to mention that the ring I bought set me back quite a bit...and that was 28 years ago!) Now, don't let your wives read this thread. They'll be expecting you to buy them a new intercom for your next anniversary.