Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: Michelin Looks To MotoGP's 800 Era.

Should be interesting to see how much 200cc less makes.

I'm just wondering how long they will make less power, technology marches on!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Just one question, is someone sabotaging RossiÂ’s bike??

Just one question, is someone sabotaging RossiÂ’s bike??
Old 07-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Just one question, is someone sabotaging RossiÂ’s bike??

Probably the people who designed and built it.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

I think the differences will be imperceptible to anyone but the riders. As an example; in top fuel drag racing NHRA has limited engine size, rpm,(rumor has it that some of the sharper tuners have figured a way to use the rev limiter as a sort of traction control) fuel percentage, tire size, in fact now they are all on spec. tires, and they are still faster. Racers are racers. The guys with money will spend what ever it takes and still go faster.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
tomk2
Founding Member

I dunno about sabotage but for sure an odd feeling when you're a cornerworker & the radio call goes out to meatball #46

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 AM   #6
christian_gates
Founding Member

The Honda bikes are probably just so much faster that attempting to get that type of performance from the inferior Yamaha platform (which it has been since inception) has stressed it to the point where it's no longer reliable.

I recently read some old reviews (more than a year maybe - a lifetime, in other words) on the M1 and RC211V from some motomag that got to ride them and while their opinion is likely of limited value, they suggested that the RC211V had a lot more giddyup *and* substantially better handling. The platforms are similar, if revised, today, but I would bet that the gap has only increased.

Go back and look at Rossi riding a couple of years ago on the Hondas doing unheard of and ridiculous things, just blowing the field out of the water at will, and watch him struggle to keep up today. Same rider, but his bike just doesn't have the same performance.

He still is competing for the championship, because it's mostly rider, but bike makes a small difference. All of those guys are pretty much amazing riders, so sometimes, even the Doctor's genius isn't enough to overcome 50 / 50 equipment.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
gbrummett
Founding Member

So why did Rossi not have any probems last year? Just seems odd so many problems this year and no mechanical problems last year.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:20 AM   #8
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Will this lead to the rebirth of the 750's and 800's in the consumer market? Looks like the Brits (Triumph) are already on the cutting edge. Think they'll bore out the 675 to 750? That would be like the cherry on top of the sundae. Mmmm!
Old 07-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

I'm not sure that I like this rule change. One of the intriguing things about this year's motoGP campaign is the diversity of riding styles of the various riders. Some riders seem to be more aggressive than others in the early stages, resulting in excessive tire wear and a slip backwards through the pack. Personally, I love to see the excessive power applied to these racetracks. It really challenges the technical limits of the bike and tires and also challenges and rewards the rider's skill. Somehow, the idea of more docile but competitive bikes doesnt carry the same cache.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
gas_pig
Founding Member

Ditto