Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #21
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Nickey!!

There was a write-up in the Sacto Bee this morning and they quoted Nicky as taking his older brothers advice of going to the outside into turn one at the start. That sure worked!!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #22
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Laguna MotoGP Spoiler

Global Warming, it was 107 at the track on Saturday. I didnt find out how hot on Sunday other than d@mn hot. Riding home through Gilroy in 112 degree heat felt good let me tell ya... Open the visor for a little air and get a blast furnace.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:06 AM   #23
Tigercub
Founding Member

Continue rant...

Laguna Seca is about the most fan unfriendly race track I know of - I've been to a few.

They make it very difficult to get into the track and leave from it. I saw an old 250 dual-sport Honda parked in the dirt with the rest of our shiny street racers and thought, that guy knew what he was doing. Enough on that.

That track can't handle the 60k people that attended yesterday. And why are there so few seats available? It's not like they can't triple the number of bleachers - there's plenty of room. That track needs an Infinion sponser to fix it up. The track crossing bridges are a nightmare. It wouldn't take much to double their width. A well placed cigarette but would take care of those rickity fire traps.

Everyone in the pits from what I gathered hated the bumpy track - they all complained. They almost cancelled, then postponed the 600 because of a hole in the track - what was that about??

The racing was great and if you get a chance, you need to hear those MotoGP bikes. But, Dorna needs to find a better track in this country to run the MotoGP.

Last thought - Those bikes don't seem to run very well at Laguna - the slowest track in the series. The bikes popped and sputtered coming down the corkscrew and didn't seem to pick up on the throttle smoothly at all. The 800s may be better at Laguna, a track that may be better suited to 125cc or 250cc bikes.

Im done - maybe.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #24
gbrummett
Founding Member

So was it easy to follow the race actually being there?

Trying to follow in TV we didn't even know that Nickey had take the lead until a couple of laps later.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #25
Tigercub
Founding Member

No. I have always found that watching on TV is much better, because they show the whole circuit. I brought my radio to listen to during the race because I can't hear the loudspeaker commentary, but after a couple laps the bikes spread out and I can't hear anything after that. The guy next to me thought I was listening to the broadcast, but I had to tell I couldn't hear anything. We were able to just see Nicky pass, for the lead, but only because I just happened to be in the right spot and was following him. They didn't even know in the booth and the leader board wasn't updated until probably about the same time you found out at home. Furthermore, if you only pay the $60 to sit on the dirt in the hot sun you can't even see the bikes numbers so you have to watch the bikes colors very carefully. I kept getting Rossi and Edwards confused in their position and was really dissapointed when I got that sorted. So, I'm planning on watching the race tonight - I recorded it - to find out what happened while I was there.

Some perspective on the noise. A couple fighter jets flew low overhead before the start, but the MotoGP bikes were much louder.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #26
bigdx
Founding Member

"bikes popped and sputtered coming down the corkscrew and didn't seem to pick up on the throttle smoothly at all"

Erm ... traction control?
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #27
Tigercub
Founding Member

Maybe so. But, you can't believe how rough running those motors sound. It's like they should be spinning at about 17,000rpm and left there.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #28
DaveFla
Founding Member

It was certainly almost as annoying as before...

Actually, Sheheen seems to be a bit smarter in his patter. I didn't find myself reaching for the mute quite as often.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #29
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: Go Nickey!!

Saw that and it was outrageous. I feel for the mechanic, too - he can't be paid enough to put up with that, but the rider's too valuable to be worked over with, say, a half-meter-long 24mm combo wrench...

Old 07-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #30
DaveFla
Founding Member

Did you notice that it was all Honda at the end? I wonder if the others were past the extreme of their operating range.