Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Ride To Work

Oh yeah???? well it was so cold this morning I almost had to close the vents on my Fox Creek Cafe` Racer jacket... and the driveway was all wet because I forgot to turn off the sprinkler last night......didn't stop me or my trusty Bonnie .
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If we are talking about my Shovelhead, then it would be my rusty, broken down, barely used Harley.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Did the 1%ers bring the wine or the scotch?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #24
KLRer
Founding Member

considering the mess we seem to be in oil and gaswise, to say nothing of global warming, I think its about time municipalities start offering some parking perks for two wheelers.

And manufacturers ought to take note of the increasing number of people riding little, barely road worthy scooters and mopeds to work. Many might opt for a nice 250cc motorcycle that gets about 75 mpg if they could find one. Bring back the Super Sherpa, Kawa!
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #25
SRMark
Founding Member

For me it was National-Hop-In-the-Cage day. Thunderstorms in the morning, mid 90s and very humid for the ride home. I'll ride after supper tonight and think about a project or two. Does that count? How about if I work on my bike tonight? Got an old Sprint that I'm stripping down for a repaint. And God Bless you guys at Moto Italia once again for your wonderful parts catalog.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #26
manalagi001
Registered Member

Good point. You know, the streets of Asia are jammed with motorcycles, motorcycles that fit the niche you describe and which are not available here: light, fast, easy-to-operate, 20-inch wheel step-throughs. Many Americans see these bikes and think "moped" but these 100-125cc bikes are capable of 85mph speeds. More capable models have disc brakes. The two-stroke models would never pass emissions here but I see no reason why the four-stroke models like the Honda Astrea (modern Super-Cub/Passport) couldn't pass even CARB emissions tests.

These bikes are capable, affordable, easy-to-operate, fun, exhilarating, etc. Women in skirts ride them to work in the rain; young men strip off the mud-fairing, remove the stock air filter, re-jet, add cable clutches and burn up the roads like few rides in the states are capable of. Hard core-types even weld in frame bracing, add RM85 forks and shock, and race the suckers *off-road*. (Those modified bikes are bad-ass.)

These are real motorcycles that appeal to everyone and fill a much-needed niche. We shouldn't be limited to choosing between an anemic 50cc scooter and a 600cc sportbike. (Albeit there still exist the Ninja 250 and Ninja 500.)

I think one of the reasons the old two-stroke Vespas survive to this day is because, with 250cc two-stroke engines, they make hella power in a low-slung, lightweight package. They fill the niche for classy yet cool, easy-to-operate, high-performance commuter ware.

So I totally agree with the above poster.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the introduction of 250 and 400cc sportbikes such as are sold in Europe but I guess the manufacturers figure they won't sell enough here to make it worth the cost of homologation and all that. So I understand there are economic forces at work here and that in general Americans like "bigger and better" stuff, which has led us into the ZX6R-as-entry-level-bike territory we find ourselves in today.

manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #27
Neal
Founding Member

just like most days I rode my getting ratty,scuffed paint,torn seat,missing chrome strip 10 year old Geezer Glide to work. I think Im matching an obsolete stereotype. Buz,lend me some money so I can buy a shiny new bike and smoke Cohibas instead if Parodis....I'll even let the dealer change my oil. Then i'll match the reigning MO stereotype of a Harley rider...I'll even like it!!!!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #28
Neal
Founding Member

Boone's farm I hope
Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yago Sangria baby!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #30
Neal
Founding Member

What Sprint do you have.?.... I MX one and dirt track one. I want to build a street Sprint but i keep buying old dirt bikes instead. Yes,Leslie at Moto italia is a life saver for Aermacchistas. Don at charleston Cycles in Illinoisis another reliable parts source if you haven't tried him.