Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #11
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Ride To Work

Why the hell is WTW day in the hottest part of the year? It was 104 F in my locale yesterday... not exactly my favorite "ride to work" weather, though I do it often.

Seem like early June or sometime in September (both generally more temperate in North America) might find the most riders out on the roads.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

My commute is 41 miles each way. Yesterday I got rained on at the 20-30 mile area on the way home. I was completely dry by the time I got home. One of the benefits of living in the desert.

We don't need no steenking rain gear.

Wussies.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #13
schizuki
Founding Member

What's the problem with the heat? I wear a textile jacket when it's 90+, and the wind going through the vents is plenty good enough to keep me comfortable. When I'm expecting stop-and-go traffic, I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket - not unbearable when stopped, and when you're moving you freakin' freeze. I don't know what the scientific principle is, but I can't wear it when it's less than 90 degrees or I literally shiver. Weird.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, my 5 screw Highway Patrolman is getting too old/rare to risk dropping. I have a 1902 Colt pocket automatic (.380) the classic Hollywood "gat" for carry chores. With a bianchi off-duty rig, you can't see it...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #15
ejis
Founding Member

Unfortunately, when it's 90+ with 80 % humidity, that cooling breeze, well, isn't...

Didn't stop me from riding though.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I was going to take my shiny, barely used Harley to work, but I am saving it for Sunday to ride to the biker bar. I have to check the messages on my Blackberry first to make sure everyone is going to bring some single-malt scotch.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Your shovelhead is running???!!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was at the local "biker" watering hole sunday afternoon. It's a cool place on the beach and they have an open blues jam every Sunday. There are lots of faux patch-wearing blackberry coddling bikers.

They were all having a grand time looking like badasses until several members of the Vagos showed up. These are 1%er types and thankfully they were in a cordial mood that day.

Good thing I rode my Ducati and left my ECOC M/C patch at home.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #19
manalagi001
Registered Member

Jeepers. I have this same problem with my dirt biking buddies. They don't want to go ride because it's too hot, too dry, too dusty, clogs the air filter. But then in December they don't want to go because it's too cold, too wet, too muddy, wears the chain.

Whether you ride street or dirt, it can't always be 74 degrees, partly cloudy, with a 10mph ocean breeze. If you're waiting for a day like that, you'll have other obligations that day, and won't end up riding at all.

Seriously. I had friends who only rode once a month, and I thought they were slackers. Then it became once a year. Now some of these guys have gone up to two years without riding-- one of them keeps his dirt bike in my garage, so believe me, I know the facts-- either dirt or street.

[My rant gains momentum.]

When I point out to them how long it's been since they've shown their bike some love, they say, "Nawwww...it can't have been that long!" Used bike buyers beware: they say the same thing about oil changes, air filters, and other routine maintenance. They don't keep a log book, and constantly trick themselves into believing that they're keeping up with maintenance. But I keep a secret log book for their bikes-- easily done since I only have to jot down notes once every year or two-- along with my own bikes' log books, so I know for certain when the last time they changed the oil was. Typically these guys will go five to ten rides, or one, two, even four years (!) without changing the oil, but if I suggest they change it, they say, "Oh, I changed it just a couple rides ago, it should be O.K." For street bikes, they'll say, "a couple months ago" instead of "rides ago" but you get the idea.

My religion holds that even inanimate objects can have spiritual force. Maybe that sounds hokey to you but if you've ever felt awe at Yosemite or truly loved a bike, maybe you'll feel there's some truth to this. Anyway, eventually I take pity on the poor bikes and will do some maintenance myself and jot it down in my secret log-book, much as I would feed and shelter a lost dog.

To all you slacker motorcyclists out there: sell your bikes and put your energy elsewhere.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #20
sarnali
Founding Member

Ease up on the single malts there bud you don't have to be a "rugged individualist" to appreciate a good jar of hootch.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote