Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Guilty Plea in Deadly Pa. Oil Slick (Bike)Crash. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3742-guilty-plea-deadly-pa-oil-slick-bike-crash.html)

BrowningBAR 07-11-2006 08:53 AM

Re: Guilty Plea in Deadly Pa. Oil Slick (Bike)Crash.

I wonder how they new it was his oil that leaked?

BrowningBAR 07-11-2006 08:54 AM

Through a "k" in there where appropriate, would you?

Buzglyd 07-11-2006 09:02 AM

Maybe he could blame it on Big Oil! or W! or Halliburton!

BrowningBAR 07-11-2006 09:32 AM

Or Harley! It was an oil leak after all!

mikenomad 07-11-2006 09:36 AM

Re: Motorcycles That Drive Themselves

This paragraph was of interest:

"Forty-year-old Carla Bickleman of the Reading area was killed when her husband's motorcycle went out of control after hitting the oil."

It's obvious from this paragraph that the motorcycle is partly to blame, since it "went out of control" (i.e., lost control of itself).

Vehicles that "go out of control" or lose control of themselves seem to be a factor in a significant number of crashes.

seruzawa 07-11-2006 09:52 AM

Unfortunately for Franklin, he's not a US Rep.

03zx12r 07-11-2006 10:10 AM

I expected it to be leaking from his Harley - not his car. How much oil can a car leak and continue driving - and as the MoFo asked above - How did they know his vehicle was to blame? I don't see this being any different than the trash truck laying down slick unknow fluid or hydralic leak from the truck. Those guys don't report that stuff. I was impressed to see that the guy is taking responsibility for his actions - or lack of them.

crevans 07-11-2006 10:47 AM

Re: Motorcycles That Drive Themselves

That's a pet peeve of mine too. According to the evening news here in Atlanta, cars go out of control or crash themselves all the time, but only riders lose control of their motorcycles.

BrowningBAR 07-11-2006 11:10 AM

There is probably another article or two that came before this. Currently living in a small PA town myself, I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything as Bloomsburg has about 12000 people in the historic little town.

Most likely there is previous article that further explains what happened.

gforces 07-11-2006 11:23 AM

I was in that situation once...

I dropped a twin-size mattress from my truck onto the freeway once.

I pulled over, ran back flailing my arms around trying to let oncoming drivers know there's danger ahead. Thank God there were attentive enough drivers that slowed down enough to let me run out and grab it. And thank God nobody behind them just rammed into them, either.

I'm not sure many people would report dropping 3-5 quarts of oil onto the freeway. However, a country road? Hmm, go to the side, dig up some dirt, and throw it over the oil slick.