Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 AM   #21
03zx12r
Registered Member

Default Re: pretty far

Ya I just found it interesting - the article mentioned nothing about his car being dead down the road. Maybe there was another article prior to this one that clued in on some of the unknown from this article.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2006, 03:28 AM   #22
everiman
Registered Member

Default Re: Guilty Plea in Deadly Pa. Oil Slick (Bike)Crash.

skilled trackers
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:49 AM   #23
oldtim
Founding Member

I lost an oil line on my motorcycle and oiled down the bike, me and the road...and crashed (low speed, thank the gods of motorcycling). The #1 thing I did was to call the 911 to get the oil cleaned up before some one else went down - seems like what anyone would do...
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #24
travisyoung
Founding Member

Maybe because his was the car with the seized engine just up the road?
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:35 AM   #25
SquareTire
Registered Member

I'm going around a blind curve- one I've ridden through many times but this time there is a ______ (reader fill it in with what you want) in the middle of the road. I am going a little too fast-maybe not as attentive as I should be -- and I go down.

Seems like I have myself mostly to blame.
SquareTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #26
gniewko
Registered Member

Do you think you'd be able to spot an oil slick in the road as you come around the corner? And distinguish it from a puddle of water or a change in road surface material? It must be great to have Superman vision...
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #27
SquareTire
Registered Member

I said fill in the blank- what if it was the lawnmower referred to earlier- I'd better be pretty sure that I'm prepared to take evasive action in a safe manner.
SquareTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #28
OhioSteve
Founding Member

I ride almost every day to work, March 15 - November 15. I also ride for fun on the weekends.

I do what I can to reduce the risks of riding. However, I recognize that I may die in spite of those precautions. Riding is intrinsically more dangerous than driving a car.

Based on the information in the story, it sounds like the motorcyclist died in part due to the negligence of the defendant. However, there was also a very strong element of bad luck. I'm not sure I would be comfortable sending a man to prison based just on what I read.

OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #29
davidhaner
Founding Member

I felt really stupid immediately after pointing it out because I thought, 'i bet he did that on purpose to illustrate his point.' I came back to this thread to see if I needed to apologise for being a jack@ss. You should have lied!
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #30
jumarcil
Registered Member

Quote "t's obvious from this paragraph that the motorcycle is partly to blame, since it "went out of control" (i.e., lost control of itself)." .... If you drive on the highway and suddenly you lose control because a section of that same highway has been flooded (after a big curve let's say) is it your fault !!!!

I was riding my bike and the oil filter leaked after an oil change ; the mechanic forgot to take out the old seal so it spilled under the bike. Let's say i had lost control; would have it been my fault; Get smart.
jumarcil is offline   Reply With Quote